Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Pedometers

1. Collapse Details
    Pedometers
    I tried a couple of belt/waist band mounted pedometers and found them useless.

Bought a wrist watch pedometer and tried out last three days on established walking routes. Touted to count steps and calculate distance. Not high tech but programmable for age, height, weight (although I do not know how those are relevant) and stride length.

To test it, I actually count my steps and find that it consistently records 2 to 3 % more steps than actual for the first 400-500 steps, levels out very close to actual for next 1000 steps and then increasing under counts by 2 to 6% final 2000 steps.

I believe I have my stride length entered accurately but it under calculates total distance by 10-15%.

Is this typical accuracy for a non-gps pedometer?

2. Collapse Details

Don't know the answer to your question. Use Strava, a free cell phone app. Tracks your miles while walking, running, cycling. Gives you little gold, silver, or bronze medals if you record a top-3 personal time for given segments of your route.

3. Collapse Details

Thank you, Dr Jay. I will see if my grandson can find/install Stava on my cell phone.

4. Collapse Details

Great! I was afraid the older-dog gene might kick in and resist the new trick. I use it a lot on bike rides. One can post their walks/run/rides on Strava on the Internet so friends can see what you're doing and you what they're doing, but you can use it and not do that. Adds a little fun motivation when you see your buddy has gotten in a few more good rides than you this month.

5. Collapse Details

Former Resident Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Is this typical accuracy for a non-gps pedometer?
    It is. There are foot pods that are supposed to be decent. DrJay's solution is better.

6. Collapse Details

The old dog gene is still working but I did make a break through this week.
    A hot water heater disaster resulted in my getting new downstairs carpet. The carpet installers would not touch any electronics. I was obliged to disconnect all TV, computers, telephones. Miraculously, I was able to reinstall everything without calling the Geek Squad
    ( except one phone I can find the right cords for)

7. Collapse Details

My iPhone does a pretty good job of counting steps and if I am not going really vigorously gets the mileage pretty closely. If I try 'steps' while riding it does very poorly in my back pocket of my jersey but if I am wearing some mountain bike shorts the under-count is significant but much less. How it functions seems to change as the iOS is updated.