Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Asian Games

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Asian Games
    A few points of interest as the Asian Games take place:

With Su Bingtian having run 9.91 twice, what are his chances of breaking 9.90 at this meet? There are 6 sprinters who ran faster than him in the heats.

With Wei Yongli having run 10.99 in Switzerland, how close will she come to the WL (10.85), if not the NR (10.79)? She ran 11.32 in the heats.

[Edited; I got the athletes mixed up] The big surprise here is WJ champ Hima Das of India. At 19, she ran 51.00 in the heats to break the NR, behind Salwa Eid Naser's meet record 50.86. By the way she runs (she closes fast), will Das be the next Salwa Eid Naser?
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 08-26-2018 at 08:15 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Well, it looks as if I may have spoken too soon with regard to the Chinese sprinters, given their semifinal times (10.16 and 11.29; with Ryota Yamagata leading the men at 10.10)...

...But Hima Das at 50.79, behind Naser's 50.09, is one we may have to watch in the future. She's likely to be in the 200 on Tuesday.

3. Collapse Details

OY!! I really miscalculated! Edidiong Odiong (Bahrain) 11.29; Dutee Chand (India) 11.33; Wei Yongli 11.33. Liang Xiaojing was the fastest starter and Chand got the jump on Wei in the first 30m. Odiong ran them both down in the last 30.

I guess Wei's 10.99 and 11.07 in Switzerland, and her 11.10 in London, didn't exactly portend bigger things to come soon enough. Her team will try to break the NR (42.23) in the relay.

4. Collapse Details

Su did his job; 9.92. Tosin Ogunode (Qatar) 10.00; Ryota Yamagata (Japan) 10.00.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 08-26-2018 at 02:30 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    [Edited; I got the athletes mixed up] The big surprise here is WJ champ Hima Das of India. At 19, she ran 51.00 in the heats to break the NR, behind Salwa Eid Naser's meet record 50.86. By the way she runs (she closes fast), will Das be the next Salwa Eid Naser?
    Or the next Semenya?

6. Collapse Details
    Asian Games
    Administrator
    this deserves its own thread

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    Su did his job; 9.92. Tosin Ogunode (Qatar) 10.00; Ryota Yamagata (Japan) 10.00.
    And 8 weeks after his 18th birthday, WJr Champ Lalu Muhammad Zohri (INA) finished 7th in 10.20 (just .02 off his PR set in Tampere). A nice sequence through the rounds, too. (10.27/10.24/10.20)

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Just wondering, what deserves its own thread? What would be the topic up for discussion?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Just wondering, what deserves its own thread? What would be the topic up for discussion?
    I think the posts above that of gh were originally in the "Int'l Results Misc." thread, so a new Asian Games topic was created.

10. Collapse Details

Aha, thanks, of course.