Facts, Not Fiction

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
  1. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    After doing sh*t in the first 4 days, I did pretty well in the end. Just 2 more points, and I would have finished REALLY high.
    Maybe we should team up next time. I got out of the gate well, even was in top 15 at one point. But faded badly over the final half of the events. (Think I was 23rd at the half way point, ended up inside top 80) I seem to be one of the worst at getting the medalists in the correct position. I always lose the tie-breakers.

Knew I jinxed myself in the 20 contest. Guess I have to keep my mouth shut until the final day. :-(

Thanks to RvW, great contest as always.

2. Collapse Details

I had my best results in a very long time (#13 and #7). Hanging around in the top 3-4 for a couple of the middle days was very exciting, and my Pick20 outcome was my best ever (if only that GBR M4x1 had dropped the baton!).

I think it helped to not have TF&N tips to distract me for a change.

Thanks again RvW. My 17th entry and it's added value to my viewing every time.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post
    it's added value to my viewing every time.
    Absolutely. ECs before were 'interesting' but hardly riveting to me. This time around, I watched the feed from beginning to end and saw what I had been missing!

4. Collapse Details

And, of course, the user experience on Ronald's site is tops. Now back to the drudgery of the Fantasy Diamond League site.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RvW View Post
    Winner of the 2018 Top3 Contest with 224 participants is Gustavo Candelas from Spain. Second became Sampsa Lahtonen from Finland and third Victor Ceresuela also from Spain. Gustavo won also the 2015 contest and Sampsa won the 2016 contest, with also Christoph Thurner winner of the 2006 and 2009 contests finishing 6th, we learn that performing in this contest is more an art then you would expect.
    I don't think any of doubts there is skill involved in this time. It's partly about following what's going on in the T&F world and partly intuition - going with gut instincts is often better than overanalyzing.

Then again, luck plays a part as well. I got a couple of lucky breaks in the last couple of days, with Craft overtaking Vita for bronze in the last round and Can profiting from Salpeter's mistakes to take 3rd.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jnathletics View Post
    I seem to be one of the worst at getting the medalists in the correct position. I always lose the tie-breakers.
    For some reason I'm good at picking gold medalists, but not so much with the minor medals. I was tied for 3rd on correctly predicting the most winners, and IIRC last year I also placed much higher on that metric than I did in the overall rankings.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Athletic Pavesins View Post
    4 medals, 0-0-4. In overall table we have 1-1-4 but the gold and the silver are not medals.
    It looks like European Athletics considers medals from the marathon team events to be real medals this time. That was not the case in the past.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    The only British favorites to not come through were the 4x4 relay teams, which (for some or other reason) British contestants were not more likely to back.
    Neither of the British 4x4 teams were clear favorites. On the men's side, they had the highest number of no. 1 picks, but it was just 1/3 of the participants. As for the women, they were selected first by more than 50%, but it's not like they were overwhelmingly favored.

I can brag about picking the winners of both races right against popular opinion But then I wasn't confident enough about either to use them in the pick 20 contest.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RvW View Post
    The Athletics Prediction Contest for 2018.
    It's never too early to get ready for the 2019 contest.
    Registration now open!

https://www.atstat.org/contest/

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    It's never too early to get ready for the 2019 contest.
    Registration now open!

https://www.atstat.org/contest/
    Done.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley