Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: 200 meters

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details

If that is true (each lane out cuts a 10th off your time), then Wilma Rudolph's (1960) 24.0 and Michael Bates' (1992) 20.38 were even more amazing with both in lane one.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I disagree, different eras produce different results just as much as different athletes produce different results.
    You might find this hard to believe, but I've been debating that issue with myself when it comes to Bolt. But it's hard to argue against his consistency over the course of 3 Olympiads, to go along with his 3 straight gold medals and the margin of victory in 2 of them.

Comparing the greatest across generations is not as hard as you may think. T&FN did this in the winter of 2000.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 07-27-2018 at 10:01 PM.

3. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Doesn't solve the problem of somebody gets screwed by the lane draws for the first round.

Remember the theory held by many that each lane you move out cuts a 10th off your time.
    If you cant get into the semifinal round from lane 3 then you are not a finalist. I agree that the straight is a fair race, but that is a different race than the historic 200m race. When was the last time an elite 200m straight was run ?.. 1972?

Im not sure about that theory of 1/10 per lane, I suspect it is more than 1/10 of a second from lane 1 to 2 for most athletes, but it is next to nothing from lane 7 to 8.

who are you going to trust on these issues, gh, the editor of T&FN or a guy with the confidence to go by the name user4 !
    Last edited by user4; 07-28-2018 at 04:41 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I disagree, dont use lanes 2 and 3, and have a quarterfinal and semifinal system and you get the lane you deserve.

Don Quarrie took home gold in Montreal from lane 2!
    didn't Larry Black in Lane 1 finish 2nd to V. Borzov?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bic1rOaS7mI
    Last edited by thedoorknobbroke; 08-01-2018 at 06:08 PM.