Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: World Cup 2026

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

The Belgies have so far impressed me the most.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    The Belgies have so far impressed me the most.
    They and the Croats

3. Collapse Details

This the first WC I have paid much attention to... could not stand all those damn horns in Brazil..but, raises a couple of questions:
    With so many different languages, how do the referees communicate with athletes and coaches?..
    Also, why are most ads in these Russian stadiums in English?
    Why do games with 5 minutes stoppage go on for 7 minutes?
    How, with the replay system, can they ignore some of the most flagrant fouls while calling ticky-tack fouls constantly?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Oops indeed....Argentina looked hopeless....though England is doing well...

Beckham should not remind people of his stupid behavior 20 years ago against Argentina....
    I had just moved and my furniture/TV hadn't arrived yet and I was at the only place I could find showing the 1998 WC games, a little Mexican place with one TV. Me and some guy from Argentina were the only ones watching. He didn't speak English and I don't speak Spanish. When Beckham did what he did, he just looked at me apologetically with empathy; he could believe it either and didn't cheer. I never really liked Beckham (had one good dimension and way too much credit for it). A really silly thing to do for a Captain although he claims the experience changed him for the better. On the other hand, I'm a huge Bobby Robson fan and the hand of a rascal makes me very happy to see Argentina crash and burn in this one.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    This the first WC I have paid much attention to... could not stand all those damn horns in Brazil..but, raises a couple of questions:
    With so many different languages, how do the referees communicate with athletes and coaches?..
    basically English, and the committee usually favor refs who know the languages of both teams.
    Also, why are most ads in these Russian stadiums in English?
    it's a world event...every nation (perhaps apart from the US) has its eye on it; in fact, there are also top Chinese sponsors whose ads are completely in Chinese catering to audience sitting at home watching TV!
    Why do games with 5 minutes stoppage go on for 7 minutes?
    sometimes 'stoppages' happen in stoppage time as well: injuries, substitutions, goals, altercations...also many players are in the habit of wasting time faking injuries in the extra minutes to run down the clock. The ref takes in consideration all of these and adds some more playing time accordingly.
    How, with the replay system, can they ignore some of the most flagrant fouls while calling ticky-tack fouls constantly?
    humans make errors despite technical assistence (my cynical self however screams 'FIFA is one frigging corrupt thug organization that is ruining a once great tournament')

6. Collapse Details

This is an international event, not a Russian event. The big viewing eyes are international and English is the language that people know best. The Olympics are done in English and French, but I thought that gh said that the French portion had shrunk.

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Meanwhile....Serbia is taking their loss to Switzerland well...

'The head of the Serbian Football Association has accused governing body Fifa of showing bias against his country at the World Cup in Russia.

Slavisa Kokeza says Serbia were victims of a "brutal robbery" during Friday's loss to Switzerland, accusing Fifa of "directing" officials to work against them."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44589162

8. Collapse Details

Thanks, xw.. I kinda figured out the stoppage thing.. it just seemed excessive.
    The rest of it makes sense but I am suspicious of review impartiality. some things just can't be missed or ignored .

9. Collapse Details

Thanks, xw.. I kinda figured out the stoppage thing.. it just seemed excessive.
    The rest of it makes sense but I am suspicious of review impartiality. some things just can't be missed or ignored .
    If you had watched previous World Cups and the horrendous game-changing decisions, you would probably be much more in favor of video reviews. Vidoe has been used quite well so far although Sweden should have been given a penalty against Germany.

10. Collapse Details

I am in favor of video reviews.. my concern is inconsistency in calling fouls and ignoring
    blatant fouls that even my soccer ignorant eyes can see...I caught the Sweden/Germany
    incident and an egregious sandwich embrace in the Serbia/Switzerland match that was replayed several times but not called.