Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Relieving my boredom - taking it out on a client
    Today was one of those days. So I thought rather than go blah blah on TNF, I would take out my boredom on a client.

Have you ever had one of those clients who thinks you should bend down and kiss their arse because they considered that after they begged you to take their case, and then once you did, you were then their slave and required to carry every demand they made 24/7.

As a genuine dementia approaching gold carding old fart who gets free coffee from McDonalds, free rides on buses, oh and a retirement benefit of 260 or so bucks a week, I am in the fortunate position of not needing to take shit from unreasonable clients.

Below is my verbatim response to such a client from this afternoon. The client’s email is reproduced exactly and identified by bullet points ●. My response follows.

= = = = = = = =

• I just visited your office but your receptionist denied us to see you saying we should have appointment.

"Strange as it may seem to you, my staff do not sit around waiting all day for you to arrive unannounced, without an appointment, so that we can drop everything telling all our other clients their problems are insignificant because Her Imperial Highness has arrived."

"If this had been the first time you did this, we would have tried to organise a meeting with one of our advisers as soon as possible. But it is not."

• When you don’t reply to the email, how can we book a appointment?

"You book an appointment by doing what most our our clients do (you know the polite ones who do not think an adviser should collapse in gratitude for the pleasure of representing your demanding self); that is, you phone 337-0380 and politely ask for an appointment and explain why you need an appointment."

"However, if we assess that meeting with you will be a waste of time, you will probably not be given an appointment. This is because the only thing we have to sell is our time. And my staff are not in the habit of unnecessarily wasting that resource."

"We know what your problem is; and we have prepared our submissions to address that problem. However, if you do not like our submissions then you are free to do your own, and you are free to amend what we have written."

"You email us constantly, about 3 times a day. Just because you have emailed us does not mean we must immediately drop everything. While that may be what you expect to happen in your culture, I can tell you now, it doesn't happen in New Zealand culture."

• You sent me a submission yesterday and I requested you to include about essential skills as well because I meet the instructions of this visa.

"That is your opinion. However, let me remind you that you are an overstayer who was represented previously by two competent advisers from other firms and INZ still considered you were not qualified."

"I told you last week when you "begged" TDA to take your case that, in my opinion, your appeal to the IPT against deportation (that was prepared for you by another adviser) would fail because you have no humanitarian grounds."

"You asked us to make submissions to the Minister, as an exception to policy. It is our opinion (my opinion) that being qualified or unqualified according to essential skills is not relevant."

• But you haven’t replied to my emails yesterday. I waited for your clients do, the polite email until 11.30 this morning then I decided to visit your office because this is something very important for me. We came from Cambridge, it’s a two hours drive to AKL and you didn’t even come to see us for 5 mins. This is not fair on us.

"Well, if you are silly enough to drive from Cambridge without an appointment, then that is your problem. I don't care that you think the world must revolve around you because neither I, nor my staff, share your opinion. You have been told you must have an appointment as we have other clients who needs are just as important as yours."

• I really want my file to be sent as soon as possible. What about today what you have done with my file.

"The only reason it hasn't been lodged today, is because of your incessant and silly demands."

• U haven’t replied me if you want to include essential skills or not in the submission.

"We don't want to because it is not relevant to our submissions. But because of your demands we have included a reference to essential skills. In my opinion, such a demand is stupid and unnecessary. But as you have made that demand we have followed that instruction."

• Also, your receptionist was asking me to send you my signed authority to send submission to IPT. Kindly check your email. I have already sent you since yesterday. My husband’s visa has been declined today. So please send my file as soon as possible. We are already too late. Please let me know about your plans about my file when are you going to send it.

"We will send your file as soon as you stop making unreasonable demands. And also it was only yesterday that your provided the information we had requested."

"Your daughter"

"From now on you are prohibited from bringing your daughter into the premises of TDA."

"You were asked yesterday to keep control of her, as each previous time you and your husband have brought her to TDA you have let her run wild and ransack our offices. And you did it again today. When my accountant and I returned to TDA from a meeting, my accountant office discovered her office had been ransacked by your daughter because you and your husband think we should be grateful to your presence and allow your little undisciplined princess to run amok."

2. Collapse Details

There - don't you feel better now?

3. Collapse Details

Wow! I want to read this, but those pesky patients are starting to arrive. Need a little block of time. Looks like a fun break from reading and posting about Hayward Field and Michael Norman.

4. Collapse Details

Wait, was this all a series of exchanges with a single client? Or different clients each bullet?