Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hughes v Lyles in a 200
    With Hughes and Lyles running 100m PBs today I hope they can match off in a 200m in the next couple of weeks. Sub 19.50 ???

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    With Hughes and Lyles running 100m PBs today I hope they can match off in a 200m in the next couple of weeks. Sub 19.50 ???
    IMO Lyles won't be tested in the 200 this year.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Agreed. As long as he is healthy, my money is on Lyles over anyone for now.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Agreed. As long as he is healthy, my money is on Lyles over anyone for now.
    Lyles vs. a healthy Gardiner could be a fun race.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Ok.

6. Collapse Details

Very impressed by Hughes and his potential in the 100m. Might be the "one" we've been waiting for in that distance. He said he slipped in the blocks in Kingston, recovered to overtake Lyles and the rest of the field, and won the race.

Quote Originally Posted by AFelixFan View Post
    Lyles vs. a healthy Gardiner could be a fun race.
    This. Gardiner is the only one I can see challenging him and the 200m is unlikely to be a race he contests much.

7. Collapse Details

I wasn't entirely sold on Gardiner in the 200 yet, even pre-injury. He has one fast time so far, which he hasn't matched elsewhere, even in the straight race in Boston. Compared to his other times this year (20.35w; 20.20/+2.0; 19.88 on a straight), the 19.75 was just as much an outlier as Munyai's 19.69 is.

Based on where Gardiner was in the Stockholm race, he'd probably have ended up somewhere in the gap between the 19.75 and his other races; which is very good, obviously; but I'm not sure I'd single him out as Lyles's top challenger.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    I wasn't entirely sold on Gardiner in the 200 yet, even pre-injury. He has one fast time so far, which he hasn't matched elsewhere, even in the straight race in Boston. Compared to his other times this year (20.35w; 20.20/+2.0; 19.88 on a straight), the 19.75 was just as much an outlier as Munyai's 19.69 is.

Based on where Gardiner was in the Stockholm race, he'd probably have ended up somewhere in the gap between the 19.75 and his other races; which is very good, obviously; but I'm not sure I'd single him out as Lyles's top challenger.
    He would've ended up between 19.75 and 19.89 or something, to be exact, because he was certainly going to beat the eventual winner. Lyles' 19.69, meanwhile, converts to 19.83 or thereabout basic so such a performance would certainly make Gardiner Lyles' equal.

9. Collapse Details

Meanwhile, what happened to Lyles's brother? He had lowered his 400 PR in May and I was looking for more improvement, but he he was only 7th in Kingston. Very disappointing.

10. Collapse Details

I'm not so sure about that. Two years ago, Michael Norman and Lyles were about dead even over 200 (4th and 5th at USOT). Since then, obviously both have gotten significantly faster. I would be very curious to see them face off now. That would be race worth paying to see.