Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Thanks.
    The one on L-R was dated June 11, but did NOT have Tuohy's name!
    Yours must be a later list!

2. Collapse Details

Yep, she just entered yesterday.

3. Collapse Details

Is there an age restriction for the USATF Jrs & the World Juniors??
    16 or older?
    I think McLaughlin wasn't able to go to the '14 WJC's because she was too young!
    Maybe that's why Tuohy (and Tamari Davis, among others), are going to the NBN instead!
    Last edited by aaronk; 06-13-2018 at 02:48 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Tuohy is age-eligible this year for both the USATF Juniors and the World Juniors

5. Collapse Details

Tamari Davis is eligible for the USATF Juniors, but would not be eligible for the World Juniors this year.

6. Collapse Details

Mary Cain?
    Who's she?
    And I thought her name was Tuohy!!

4:33.87!
    A simple truth!

7. Collapse Details

If you are taking the 1500 split then the method is simple, too simple because it is wrong. Do you really think that when someone runs a 4:00 1500 that it is the same as a 4:17.5 mile? If not, then use 8% for conversions rather than 7.29%.

8. Collapse Details

Perhaps everyone here already saw Tuohy's impressive NBN mile from yesterday, but just in case, it is here, in the video list. It is the "Girls 1 Mile Championship Section 2" (they have multiple mile races):

http://www.nbnationalsout.com/eprofi...&event_id=3689

If you have not seen it or have not seen her run, it is worth watching -- a very dominating performance, obviously. She slowed a bit after the opening lap, which was on ~4:30 pace, but overall, it was an even-paced effort.

There are also two interviews with her in this NBN video list. I was interested in her responses to questions about the speedwork preparation she did for this race. Both times she was asked about this, she responded instead by explaining the work she did on her form and mechanics. It shows, at least in my amateur view, in watching her. She is a very strong-looking and efficient runner.

I have a question about Tuohy's performance, in relation to the other comparables that are on the combined 1500/mile HS list, here. In that combined list of indoor and outdoor performances and converted equivalent 1500 marks, there are several faster than Tuohy's 4:33.87 -- by Cain, Efraimson, Christina Aragon, Cranny, Rainsberger, and Kate Murphy. And of course for some of these athletes there are more faster performances than the one best that populates that list. I have been going through all of those faster HS performances, and so far I cannot find any that were in HS-only competition. I think this is the case, but I would be interested to get confirmation of that from someone who follows this category of stats more closely.

Also, I think all of those other marks were accomplished when those young runners were in the 17-19yo range. Tuohy, I believe, is not quite 16, so this also seems like a single-age record, at least on the USA level.

No arguments or implications here by me about who is great, greater, greatest; and certainly no suggestions about who is or is not going to be a world-beater. I get all the variables and contingencies in play with young athletes. I am appreciating Tuohy's dominating performance for what I saw yesterday -- a truly great run by a HS runner in a HS championship context. I wish her well!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    Tuohy, I believe, is not quite 16, so this also seems like a single-age record, at least on the USA level.
    I believe she was 16 in March.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I believe she was 16 in March.
    According to her IAAF profile, she turns 16 on August 15th!!
    BTW, in her interview, she said she's ended her season!