Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Tony Bourdain Suicide at 61
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/micheli.../#3c0ce2ce8d59

If you or someone you know is considering suicide, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

2. Collapse Details

There are many environmental causes to suicide - money, relationships, health - but the biological cause, depression, is almost always a major factor. I would have hoped that by 2018, the mental health aspects of one's life, and imminent death, would be known by enough people, the person involved and his/her loved ones, that suicide prevention would be improving, but just the opposite is happening. Suicides are up 25-30% in the past 20 years.

3. Collapse Details

A friend of mine went to a talk in Boulder by a Buddhist nun. She said of all the places she had been in the world....places beset by war, poverty, famine, disease...the country with the most suffering is the United States. She meant emotional suffering. Stress. Anger. Hate. Unhappiness. Non-war violence. I think we all know some of the reasons for that. 60-80 hour work weeks. Not enough time to enjoy life. Gotta have the latest cell phone and hot car. Internet addiction. Social isolation. And so on.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    60-80 hour work weeks. Not enough time to enjoy life. Gotta have the latest cell phone and hot car. Internet addiction. Social isolation. And so on.
    Having the time to 'ruminate' can be devastating.

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Sad...I liked his shows quite a bit..my favorite was when he went to Ghana where I went once...

Anyways The New Yorker article that started it all....and don't order fish on Mondays...or steaks well done....

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...e-reading-this

James Gleick posted this today....

I was on a panel with Anthony Bourdain in Sydney ten years after 9/11 when a questioner asked us whether the attacks weren’t our (Americans’) own fault. While I mulled my answer, he replied: “Fuck you, and fuck the horse you rode in on.”
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 06-08-2018 at 08:23 PM.

6. Collapse Details

I had never read that New Yorker article until today, when it appeared in my Facebook feed. Very entertaining read. Others on reddit posted some interesting bits from youtube. The favorite from that was his drunk trip to Waffle House at 2 a.m. I never really followed him, but I would see occasional clips here and there that were entertaining. A close foodie friend posted a very nice note, so he must have touched many, many people. Be at peace.

7. Collapse Details

An in depth piece on the man published last year.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...moveable-feast

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Sad...I liked his shows quite a bit..my favorite was when he went to Ghana where I went once...

Anyways The New Yorker article that started it all....and don't order fish on Mondays...or steaks well done....

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1...e-reading-this

James Gleick posted this today....

I was on a panel with Anthony Bourdain in Sydney ten years after 9/11 when a questioner asked us whether the attacks weren’t our (Americans’) own fault. While I mulled my answer, he replied: “Fuck you, and fuck the horse you rode in on.”
    I didn't really know this guy, or watch his shows, but based on that, I love him. RIP