Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    There is a reason that the 'big' sports have that "requirement" and it is not the one you stated. Because it was the big Nike home meet, there was likely pressure to stay in the meet until it was clear that only a miracle would make it right.
    Interesting. What needed to be made right?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    On a related score, I was extremely impressed with Miller-Uibo -- she looked superb and ran the sort of race that it looks like she can duplicate and I think that we likely have seen the last of her fumbles at the finish. Was it just me or does she look more fit this year, possibly a bit lighter but also stronger.
    You are correct on this note. She mentioned so in her interview after the race. She and her coach have focused on improving her strength and conditioning this year. By the numbers, I clocked her first 200 in about 23.7 and she came back in 25.8. This is miles better than what she was doing before 22.9/26.5.

When Perec ran the current Olympic record she was 23.4/24.8 pushed all the way by Freeman. Miller ran those numbers above pretty much by herself. She is finding the formula. Can she continue to reproduce it? Using this, if she can remain healthy and she gets an added push, I feel she may have a chance to breach the 49s barrier by the end of the season or next.
    Last edited by scorpionking; 05-28-2018 at 04:43 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Felix has never ducked the competition - I think she has every right to opt out of the occasional race without giving a reason. If she started to do it on a regular basis, the market (sponsors) would punish her. We don't have to. Personally, I'll be happy to watch her run any time I have the opportunity to.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Twice An Olympian View Post
    In the absence of an answer from Allison, people will assume the worst.
    If, by people, you mean YOU, then I agree 100%. As soon as I read the news, I merely passed it off, to . . . not feeling it . . . That's reason enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Allison Felix, probably currently the highest profile US track athlete pulls out of the biggest non championship domestic meet in the US at the last minute with no explanation and some can't understand why there would be some questioning of her situation? That's what's really odd.
    As above, not the least bit odd to me. Athletes pull out of meets all the time; it's their prerogative, no explanation necessary, thank you.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    If, by people, you mean YOU, then I agree 100%. As soon as I read the news, I merely passed it off, to . . . not feeling it . . . That's reason enough for me.

As above, not the least bit odd to me. Athletes pull out of meets all the time; it's their prerogative, no explanation necessary, thank you.
    I just don’t get those people who think athletes owe them explanations for their every coming and every going

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    I just don’t get those people who think athletes owe them explanations for their every coming and every going
    And the only reason some pro leagues require injury reports is to keep professional bookies/gamblers from having 'privileged' information for sale.

7. Collapse Details

Does anyone know what was felix relay split last year at london ?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by benjastar123 View Post
    Does anyone know what was felix relay split last year at london ?

9. Collapse Details

Knowing what's going on with athletes keeps fans interested, as does seeing head-to-heads. Whilst athletes don't 'have' to tell people what's happening, ultimately the business side of the sport does need to keep fans interested and having personalities that they can buy into makes that easier. If an athlete is just doing it for the love of the sport, they owe no one anything, but if they want to make a living from it, sponsors and meet directors will expect more

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Right.....and fans are free to speculate why they pulled out. Thank you.