Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    PV limits How high is too high?
    At what point will we need new pole technology because the human body is no longer able to run with a pole long enough to throw the vaulter over the bar.
    Will the 2024 OGs see a new kind of pole?

Hardwood> Bamboo> steel and aluminum >fiberglass and carbon fiber> ????

How soon will we need new landing pit technology?
    sawdust> foam chunks in net bags>layers of blocks of foam in ballistic weight covers>???
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wineturtle View Post
    Hardwood> Bamboo> steel and aluminum >fiberglass and carbon fiber> ????
    If there were beaucoup $$$$ in pole-making, we'd already have newer technology. I predict that future poles will only come in lengths and you will 'dial in' the flex you want. The pole may be $2000+ but it will save a lot of money in the long-term. Carbon nano-tube technology will be the material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanotube

You heard it first here!

3. Collapse Details

Good reason to get rid of the event

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Good reason to get rid of the event
    Every distance over a mile, plus the 400H, TJ, DT and HT will be long gone before the crowd-pleasing PV will.

5. Collapse Details

Nothing to do with pleasing a crowd. Has to do with expense.

6. Collapse Details

I'd like see them make telescoping poles that can retract down to 6 feet or less so they're not such a nightmare to transport from meet to meet.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    I'd like see them make telescoping poles that can retract down to 6 feet or less so they're not such a nightmare to transport from meet to meet.
    That's the NEXT-gen pole after the vari-flex models: dial-a-length!

After that it's all VR comps anyway!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Nothing to do with pleasing a crowd. Has to do with expense.
    If you don't please the crowd, there will be no crowd. If there's no crowd, there's no revenue. If there's no revenue, expense is irrelevant.

In my experience, casual spectators who happen to go to a track meet (often to see a friend or relative compete) often talk about how much they enjoyed the pole vault.

The PV may be more expensive than the other jumping events, but it is VERY attractive to spectators and it's among the last events I'd cut, not among the first.

9. Collapse Details

At the Wisconsin meets a significant portion (25%? of the pure spectators as opposed to participants during their times watching) of the crowd is on the berm that runs along the pole vault runways. They are not all vault fans but many of them are and some have become fans by sitting there. They are very close to the action and like it a lot.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    This wouldn't dramatically increase the height of the PV, but a feasible improvement is in the technology we use to flex the poles. Deflection testing does not tell the whole story as to how stiff the pole will feel when actually used for pole vaulting.

A crossbar has a flex number. The cardboard tube your pole ships in has a flex number.

Two poles that are the same length and measured as the same flex number can feel really different depending on the sail piece and other factors.

If it were profitable I'm sure this issue would have been resolved decades ago. But there isn't that much money in the pole industry.