Facts, Not Fiction

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    The evidence that mimicking the Olympics conditions for the Trials by schedule or conditions is necessary is rather dubious.
    Who said it was necessary? Not me. However, it is preferable if your goal is to bring a team to the Olympics that's best suited for the Olympics weather conditions.

The British for one don't.....
    Why should we care what the British do? When is the last time they lead the medal count in track and field?

and besides as argued elsewhere the WC trials are one weekend...
    Are you suggesting that the Trials should go to a 4-day format like the other years? If not, why are you putting up this straw man?

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Oh dear....so many questions....

I think, and there is no evidence otherwise, other than a lottery or a committee, it really doesn't matter...put the Trials where people will fill up the stands every day for 10 days and everyone has a good time. Other than Eugene I am not sure there is such a place anymore. In fact I am amazed Eugene still can.

3. Collapse Details

Meanwhile....The locals are happy....

"Eugene business owners are abuzz after USA Track & Field announced its 2020 Olympic Trials will be held at the new Hayward Field.

Local businesses were already making plans for the 2021 International Association of Athletics Federation World Championships, but the city hosting two major track and field events two summers in a row has local business owners and residents excited, said Kari Westlund, president and CEO of Travel Lane County.

ďItís like Christmas,Ē said Jim Jensen from the Wild Duck Cafe, a short walk east of Hayward Field."

http://www.registerguard.com/news/20...-hayward-field

4. Collapse Details

put the Trials where people will fill up the stands every day for 10 days and everyone has a good time. Other than Eugene I am not sure there is such a place anymore. In fact I am amazed Eugene still can.
    I concur with this. I hate the 12-hour trips, 2500 mile trips to get there but no city does track and field better than Eugene.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I concur with this. I hate the 12-hour trips, 2500 mile trips to get there but no city does track and field better than Eugene.
    Well jazz if it helps you feel any better I will buy you a pint at the Wild Duck....I like the Boneyard IPA...

Hard to believe it is only 22 months away....

The treadmills at the rec center on the third floor look right over Hayward... Interesting watching it come to reality every day...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-03-2018 at 08:39 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Need a time-lapse camera pointed at it like they have for some construction sites. Barring that, Conor feel free to post a pic every week or two.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    It's quite interesting to go back to the first page of posts in this thread, which date only as far back as the beginning of May, to see how many "definitive" statements washed away with the tide.

8. Collapse Details

Day 1 to the Trials....

There goes the infield! Track is still there... Including the flowers around the steeplechase pit...

Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-04-2018 at 12:54 AM.

9. Collapse Details

Wild Duck, King Estate, Tracktown Pizza, Bach Festival here I come!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AyZiggy View Post
    Iíve been to at least parts of all of the last three Trials, but I donít anticipate going in 2020. For one, I donít actually believe it will be there because I donít think the new Hayward will be built in time.
    Unless they cut corners in the construction process; which means we can expect something big to fall apart within 2 years of completion. A rush job usually makes that outcome more likely. I hope no one gets hurt if it happens. :-(