Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Doha this Friday will be the first clash between Vetter and Röhler this year, but no matter how much i'd be willing to pay, i won't be able to watch the javelin competition.
    NBC Sports Gold Diamond League Doha - W Discus - M Javelin Track and Field 05/04 10:15 am CDT

Well, in the US, NBC Sports Gold has this as a somewhat dedicated event.

2. Collapse Details

But being European, i can't subscribe to NBC Gold.

3. Collapse Details

"Shanghai, China
    Strengths—The only meet in Asia . . . "

You know I don't like to argue, but the preceding DL meet listed, Doha, Qatar, is in Asia. The Middle East is not generally recognized as a continent; it is regarded as a region within Asia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent
    http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/...s_by_continent

The IAAF wants to "improve the product?" Sure, if they pare off what they consider the weaker meets, the remaining meets will be stronger and assumedly of greater individual importance. But what does that achieve? Is the IAAF more concerned with maintaining a token presence for political reasons in at least 3 countries where there is little interest in the sport, or are they genuinely interested in having well-attended meets?
    Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 05-05-2018 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Typo

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Shaffer View Post
    "Shanghai, China
    Strengths—The only meet in Asia . . . "

You now I don't like to argue, but the preceding DL meet listed, Doha, Qatar, is in Asia.
    That's true, geographically speaking, but replace the term 'Asia' with 'Far East' and the point is a valid one. 3 of the last 6 WCs took place in that region, so it's obviously important for the IAAF and they wouldn't want to deprive it of its only meet on the major circuit. And China in particular is a key market for everyone nowadays.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

5. Collapse Details

Remove the 30mio bribe and Doha 2019 would have never happened. It's not about regions, it's about money.