Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    IAAF announces new rules for Semenya

2. Collapse Details

Just curious why this is only for distances between 400m to the Mile?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Go figure !!
    i deserve extra credit

4. Collapse Details

Testosterone has nothing to do with other events? At the risk of sounding stupid, would it stand to reason that female hurdlers should be able to use steroids (following whatever logic is being employed by the IAAF) ? - though I suspect the only thing driving this decision was to corral Caster Semenya.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 04-25-2018 at 02:13 PM.

5. Collapse Details

??!!
    Couldn't a good argument be made that extra T is MOST effective in the 100 and 200?

6. Collapse Details

For some reason these events seem to be the most affected. But I agree the rule makes no sense in principle. I'm pretty sure hyperandrogenism gives an advantage in other events; probably more so in the throws.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

Caught between a rock and a hard place. Semenya has worked hard to become a champion, and has done nothing wrong, but her (and others) elevated levels make it an unfair playing field. What is "fair" for Semenya, and others with the same condition, is different from what is "fair" for everyone else who competes against her. It's the devil balancing those two issues.

It seems to me that either the new rule should apply to all events or to no events. If the issue of hyperandrogenism is truly an "unfair" advantage, the condition doesn't only affect athletes who compete in the 400 through the mile.

8. Collapse Details

What about shot and disc? Surely those would be affected. I agree this seems arbitrary

9. Collapse Details

Possibly attempting to avoid a legal challenge? Semenya has never challenged the rules to medicate herself to lower testosterone. Sprinter Dullee Chand did. Maybe the IAAF figures Semenya won't challenge the rule or by the time she does and is successful she won't be a challenger anymore.

Absent that reasoning I consider the rule changes as reported as being particularly dopey yet somehow par for the course.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    - though I suspect the only thing driving this decision was to corral Caster Semenya.
    I suspect that what is driving it is legal action in the courts, and CAS has said that if the IAAF wants to set a limit it needs to provide evidence of the competitive advantage.

As noted above by Powell, the evidence provided to CAS about the competitive advantage apparently is strongest for these events. Note also that sprinter Dutee Chand, who brought the original case to court, would not be affected by this rule.