Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Thoughts on Grenada Invitational?
    Hannah Cunliffe won her first professional race. Tori Bowie coasted in the 200. Justin Gatlin prevailed. LaShawn Merritt captured the 200 in what - for him - was little more than a speed workout. Shamier Little ran away from the field in the open 400.

There were a few Commonwealth Game participants in the mix, but for the most part, everyone else was a second or third-tier talent.

ESPN's coverage was difficult to watch. The announce team was Lewis Johnson, Felix Sanchez and Jill Montgomery. The production team seemed unprepared for a three-hour live event.

2. Collapse Details

I thought it was a nice and typical early season meet, with many opening their year with it.

Kinda like a spring training game.

3. Collapse Details

It would have been easier to watch if I had turned the sound off. But I was a glutton for punishment.

4. Collapse Details

Well, bad track on tv is better than no track on tv.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    Merritt went from on your marks to go LOL. Seriously WTF. Seems Kirani has retired, thought I would have seen him there.
    why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    Agreed.

If the tourism officials of other countries decided, like Grenada, that three hours of track and field on ESPN is the best way to reach an audience, that is a good thing or our sport. Iíll put up with a few moments of travelogue and low production values in exchange for event coverage.

7. Collapse Details

In at least a few cases the athletes could not hear the starter's commands-Merritt was one of those.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DentyCracker View Post
    Merritt went from on your marks to go LOL. Seriously WTF. Seems Kirani has retired, thought I would have seen him there.
    During the broadcast it was reported that they'd figured out that Kirani James was suffering from Graves Disease (which you might recall affected Gail Devers). They implied that he might be back. Time will tell.