Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

My attempts did not work the first two times. Late this afternoon I tried again, got sent a 'reset your password' and am now in.

2. Collapse Details

While we all have valued T&FN as the publication of record (which leads so many of us to treasure our collections of the ink and print version of the magazine), I think we will soon all have a better appreciation for the possibilities with the new website.

Previously the website (besides its entertaining message boards) was really just a place for the webís best collection of results links, links to news reports from other sources, and archived statistical works. When news happened (except for occasional flash reports online) we would wait for a few weeks to see the traditional T&FN reporting in print arriving in our mailboxes.

Today, less than 3 hours after the completion of the Menís Hammer at the Kansas Relays, a full report on Dudarevís fabulous series was posted to the home page, complete with quotes and an updated Collegiate HT list, in the kind of T&FN reporting style we normally had to wait weeks to see in print.

A sign of good things to come.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Logging into the Board here and logging in to the subscriptions side of things (what used to be tagged as FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLY) have always required separate log-ins.
    Feel free to remind me all this is about the next generation of fans not Neo-Luddites born before the transistor was invented
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

4. Collapse Details

I don't see any link to "Results" or the eTrack Newsletters. I eventually found the eTNs after doing a general search, but it would help to have a button at the top of the home page.

EDIT: Just couldn't sleep wondering if this had been mentioned earlier by someone else, and indeed it had been, and I now know the secret way in via "NEWS," and I apologize.

But, once one finds the listing of eTNs, it would really help to have their issue date listed in the index along with the File Name, Title, and Highlights. If one is looking for results of a minor meet or road race, one doesn't necessarily know what track races were held the same weekend.
    Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 04-21-2018 at 09:45 AM.

5. Collapse Details

Thanks gh (& everyone else involved in this process). I really like the changes -- I think it looks great.

6. Collapse Details

>>There are some who clearly have never been through any major "upgrade" within their corporate confines. The chances of everything going perfectly is going to be zero.<<

>>Feel free to remind me all this is about the next generation of fans not Neo-Luddites born before the transistor was invented.<<

This is, in both cases, unadulterated, presumptive AND false, insulting BS by two arrogant posters. I went through I'm estimating about 8 of these upgrade-type changeovers, plus or minus, during my work experience. Most changeovers I went through had glitches, but all were solved by early afternoon. How hard should it be for the contractual programmers to migrate subscriptions and passwords? It shouldn't be. Objectively, they're incompetent techies, and I suspect getting paid too much by T&FN.

7. Collapse Details

I have always saved all eTNs in a separate folder in my personal email account. That's normally my go-to source when I'm looking for the results of a particular meet, since that way I don't have to bother with the password and multiple-click drill. I just scroll down to the approximate date of the meet. It's usually pretty easy to find what I'm looking for.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CKuykendall View Post
    >>There are some who clearly have never been through any major "upgrade" within their corporate confines. The chances of everything going perfectly is going to be zero.<<

>>Feel free to remind me all this is about the next generation of fans not Neo-Luddites born before the transistor was invented.<<

This is, in both cases, unadulterated, presumptive AND false, insulting BS by two arrogant posters. I went through I'm estimating about 8 of these upgrade-type changeovers, plus or minus, during my work experience. Most changeovers I went through had glitches, but all were solved by early afternoon. How hard should it be for the contractual programmers to migrate subscriptions and passwords? It shouldn't be. Objectively, they're incompetent techies, and I suspect getting paid too much by T&FN.
    Dude or dudette...why the anger (the initial anger)? A simple pointing out that which needs to be fixed will get it fixed it, very likely, short order. I really have to wonder what it is going on in one's life which could make anyone this angry at what is really a small inconvenience.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    And not to blow you off, but I've done all I can in the password-explanation department. For more help you'll need to contact the business department, since this is all their department.

Sorry this is turning into such an ordeal.

Note: it's now 5:00 (17:00) PDT, which means that the T&FN business offices are closed down for the weekend. Back open for business at 09:00 PDT on Monday.

So in the interim, nobody answering the phones.

Nothing to stop you from sending an e-mail and getting that it into the queue if you have subscription and/or password questions.
    I will call the business office on Monday morning and see if they can (1) get the new website to recognize that I have a subscription--so as to (a) be able to login and (b) be able to accept the old-issue pdfs--and (2) either get the new website to accept my old password or let me set a new one once I'm re-recognized as a subscriber. Oh, and (3) make sure that the subscription is recognized for purposes of me getting e-mailed eTNs, if the website unrecognized-subscription glitch translates in any way into an e-mail non-receipt glitch.

For the record, the previous time when the message boards themselves got redesigned and I had password problems (but not subscription recogniction problems) then also, GH himself, via a series of off-message-board e-mails, not only was able to do a fix but courteously pursued the matter until he did. So I appreciate that, from back then, and appreciate his responses this time around. Some of the rest of you smug dudes or dudettes, that's a different story.

10. Collapse Details

Add a another laurel wreath to GH who also personally helped me re-establish my identity after the last shakeup/revision of webpage.