Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Maybe Uncle Phil can have them take it apart and reassemble it in some open space and people can come to see it like the ball field in "Field of Dreams".

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    That looks more like some nonsensical press release....it will be great...trust us...and who cares about the physiology students...that can go anywhere...

I'd love to see what the actual 12,000 stadium will look like...how are they going to go from 30,000 to 12,000? The London Olympic Stadium had the same grandiose plans to turn it into a soccer stadium....that hasn't worked so well....
    This is silly. The conversion of the Olympic Stadium to Soccer (sorry non-Americans) is complicated because putting the seat up to the field requires different geometry. What is the equivalent 'conversion' here? To use it for a smaller meet might require block off some sections and somehow the $25 for tape to do that is not quite on par with the hundreds of millions to convert the track and field facility to soccer.

Maybe the best phrase here is the one noting that what makes Hayward Field special is the history of performances and those are all on the track and in the field. And I like have a bit more closure around the field to diminish the wind issues.

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Just say you don't know what you are talking about and leave it at that....what is this 12,000 going to look like? Zero news on that..Blocking off sections is idiotic..and except for this stupid one off meet.....there is no reason for anything bigger.

I think it will be just a big white elephant like most if not all stadiums become after a one off event....all this for Phil Knight's ego....

I think a 12,000 stadium even without the East Grandstand would be fine...if done right....but there is no plans out there showing what that will look like....just this huge thing that is way too big for any other meets...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-18-2018 at 03:58 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Wow...lots of premature slamming here...
    At least take into consideration that expansion was necessary to make the stadium suitable for the WC. I'd like to sit inside the venue at various positions before dogging the construction.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    .....all this for Phil Knight's ego..........
    let's see, so far Phil's ego has given UO a law school building, a cutting-edge basketball court cum concert center, the athlete center.... yup, he's really screwing the place up

6. Collapse Details

The rendering for the stadium does not appear to be very accurate IMO as it looks like it would have much more than an expandable capacity of 30k. It appears to be a stadium that would hold 60k+.

7. Collapse Details

Sure it will be a nice facility and better than the old, but I'm just selfishly disappointed that I won't be able to see the current facility before it's gone.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cladthin View Post
    The rendering for the stadium does not appear to be very accurate IMO as it looks like it would have much more than an expandable capacity of 30k. It appears to be a stadium that would hold 60k+.
    I think the people-dots in the artist's rendition are too many and too small, making it look as big as an NFL stadium. Per bruce's post a bit earlier:

"And, yes, if you read the link you will see that the actual number of rows is quite a bit less than the depictions show. Max 9 rows in the lower bowl and 18 rows above the boxes, thus the seating capacity will be only about 13,000."

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    I think the people-dots in the artist's rendition are too many and too small, making it look as big as an NFL stadium. Per bruce's post a bit earlier:

"And, yes, if you read the link you will see that the actual number of rows is quite a bit less than the depictions show. Max 9 rows in the lower bowl and 18 rows above the boxes, thus the seating capacity will be only about 13,000."
    Then where are they going to put the extra 17,000?

10. Collapse Details

Hereís my two cents: there is the odor of fish around and itís not from Agate Alley Bistro. Primarily the smell comes from the bait and switcheroo. The original upgrade plans including a modernized but reasonably unchanged East Grandstand, which kept the purists and traditionalist reasonably happy while the west side was turned into a stylized clamshell. What they gave us yesterday is a radical redesign that has no obvious ties to either the current facilities or the original proposal.

Secondarily the smell comes from the often-unexplained delays in both publicizing this design and in construction, delays to the point where timelines make any further delays for design review and modification problematic for numerous reasons.

I havenít been in town long enough to feel at one with the East Grandstand, but long enough to know that a fair number of folks around here are unhappy with both the process and results.

As for the design, it reminds me of the original Candlestick Park (before they enclosed the bowl) with the curved overhangs and the open end. Bay Area oldsters might remember that Candlestick had interesting wind dynamics.