Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    let's see, so far Phil's ego has given UO a law school building, a cutting-edge basketball court cum concert center, the athlete center.... yup, he's really screwing the place up
    Yes he's done a lot....I've said that before many times....I'm only talking about this project...

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    Here’s my two cents: there is the odor of fish around and it’s not from Agate Alley Bistro. Primarily the smell comes from the bait and switcheroo. The original upgrade plans including a modernized but reasonably unchanged East Grandstand, which kept the purists and traditionalist reasonably happy while the west side was turned into a stylized clamshell. What they gave us yesterday is a radical redesign that has no obvious ties to either the current facilities or the original proposal.

Secondarily the smell comes from the often-unexplained delays in both publicizing this design and in construction, delays to the point where timelines make any further delays for design review and modification problematic for numerous reasons.

I haven’t been in town long enough to feel at one with the East Grandstand, but long enough to know that a fair number of folks around here are unhappy with both the process and results.

As for the design, it reminds me of the original Candlestick Park (before they enclosed the bowl) with the curved overhangs and the open end. Bay Area oldsters might remember that Candlestick had interesting wind dynamics.
    Right...there was a plan that appealed to lot of people including the oldtimers and could accommodate the one off meet...and Phil Knight apparently had a change of heart and behind everyone in town a radical change in plans....the whole secrecy is bewildering....even now what is the endgame....how do they go from 30,000 down to 12,000....Knight suddenly comes up with $200 million and everyone is slavering over it.

Construction is suppose to start in 2 months....but where are they going to put 17,000 temporary seats? On that bend? It's just a throw away line in the RG today.....but seems to be the key to it all.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-18-2018 at 05:42 PM.

3. Collapse Details

It would be nice to see artist's renditions of the 12,900 and the 30,000 seat configurations.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Maybe Uncle Phil can have them take it apart and reassemble it in some open space and people can come to see it like the ball field in "Field of Dreams".
    Well, we had a group that slaved for years to save the old Civic Stadium and they were successful in doing so until some kids playing with matches burned it down. Now there's a big empty field about a mile (as the crow flies) from Hayward. So move the E Grandstand there (at the preservationists' expense) and build a nice soccer field in front of it and those who wish can go sit in the cramped seats and gaze around posts to their hearts content. Win, win. Of course, that will be too easy for those who insist that the E Grandstand remain at 15th and Agate, rotting away empty for decades to come.
    Last edited by bruce3404; 04-18-2018 at 05:57 PM.

5. Collapse Details

It would be nice to see artist's renditions of the 12,900 and the 30,000 seat configurations.
    Indeed....since they talking about the number of temporary seats that is double Hayward's present capacity.....

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Looks horrible....where is the 12000 stand coming from...that thing is huge..and no picture of the East Grandstand...

Almost all of the meets at Hayward get at most 3000....it is going to be bizarre....all this for one dumb meet....

And to say it's the same Hayward is like tearing down a Frank Lloyd Wright house and putting up a MacMansion....they can build that monstrosity anywhere there is vacant land..and use it for some other purpose......what is so special about 15th and Agate...

I'm going to throw up...
    Stop it! Just stop it! The stadium is a beautiful and much needed upgrade to an outdated and dilapidated "Hayward Field" which sure ain't Falling Water. Your childish tantrums do nothing to elevate your point. I'm amazed you can even type while holding your breath so long.

If you don't see how the concept can be reduced to 12-13,000 then you don't know anything about stadia construction. You should get out more and I have a few suggestions. First, Tommie Robinson stadium in Bahamas. Maybe you've heard of it? There's a meet held there called the IAAF World Relays? It's 15,000 expandable to 25,000. So just think in reverse.

concept:
    http://blog.studentcity.com/wp-conte...al-stadium.jpg

Satellite:
    https://dailytrackpic.files.wordpres...al-stadium.png

And, then maybe a trip to the site of the 2002 WJC in Kingston, JA. Jamaica National Stadium seats 35,000 and there's a cycle track buffer around the running track. That means the fans are less close to the track than almost any track on the planet.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/sites/def...?itok=tsqc2LVY

The IAAF world championships are coming to the US and all you can think about is yourself. Not being a great host, not showing off a great town and a spectacular event, just yourself. And what sickens many the most? Read: me. It's not your land and you're not paying for it. It's the university's land and they're building the stadium with private money and yet still you bitch. You even insult Phil Knight. (Thank you Phil Knight and friends!)

After you throw up, grow up. ("for a dumb meet..." smh)

7. Collapse Details

I have no degree in stadium design nor have I slept at an inn on a holiday but the artist renderings make it appear the lower section is permanent and is the 13,000 seat portion and that the upper portion might be the temporary seating. How they arrive at the point that the seats in the upper portion are not there is the question.

8. Collapse Details

Yes, it would be nice to see the actual final design and details. But, I have no problem picturing a beautiful "lower" bowl of 13,000 +/- permanent seats, in close proximity to the track, with unobstructed vision, and creating a really nice "surround" ambience. And the rest in an "upper" bowl, temporary seating which can be removed after 2021, and either stored or used in other locations. It should also be possible to have a neat training area around the upper concourse, after the seats have been moved out.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by crymeariver View Post
    Stop it! Just stop it! The stadium is a beautiful and much needed upgrade to an outdated and dilapidated "Hayward Field" which sure ain't Falling Water. Your childish tantrums do nothing to elevate your point. I'm amazed you can even type while holding your breath so long.

If you don't see how the concept can be reduced to 12-13,000 then you don't know anything about stadia construction. You should get out more and I have a few suggestions. First, Tommie Robinson stadium in Bahamas. Maybe you've heard of it? There's a meet held there called the IAAF World Relays? It's 15,000 expandable to 25,000. So just think in reverse.

concept:
    http://blog.studentcity.com/wp-conte...al-stadium.jpg

Satellite:
    https://dailytrackpic.files.wordpres...al-stadium.png

And, then maybe a trip to the site of the 2002 WJC in Kingston, JA. Jamaica National Stadium seats 35,000 and there's a cycle track buffer around the running track. That means the fans are less close to the track than almost any track on the planet.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/sites/def...?itok=tsqc2LVY

The IAAF world championships are coming to the US and all you can think about is yourself. Not being a great host, not showing off a great town and a spectacular event, just yourself. And what sickens many the most? Read: me. It's not your land and you're not paying for it. It's the university's land and they're building the stadium with private money and yet still you bitch. You even insult Phil Knight. (Thank you Phil Knight and friends!)

After you throw up, grow up. ("for a dumb meet..." smh)
    Well, welcome to the board, crymeariver. I must say you hit the ground running. LOL!!!!!

10. Collapse Details

Ok, maybe if they paint some of the struts and trusses and trim and such, a nice shade of forest green instead of silver or off-white, maybe it would fit in better on Agate St.