Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    You have a point. He may be biased in favor of the status quo, which pays homage to his father. Nonetheless, as a representative of his family, he's should be given some respect. Calling him a grumpy old fart doesn't do that.
    That was more a hyper-local reference to naysayers on this board.

2. Collapse Details

Here is what I wrote in my "Al's Athletics Tidbits" on April 18:

"Here's a link to a video/article about Hayward Field, including several pictures of what it is supposed to look like. It looks nothing like the current Hayward Field -- GOOD!!!! It's supposed to have wide, comfortable seating, both sides, and a new 9-lane track. As far as the whole "traditional atmosphere", etc. etc., I say "Good riddance!" Good riddance to the hideously uncomfortable seating, the horribly obstructed views, and the chronic backstretch negative winds, slowing all the round races and blowing the sprints. (The design looks like it will tend to block the prevailing winds, at least somewhat.) "

At first, it looked like the IAAF was going to let the organizers get away with leaving the horrible east stands mostly alone, screwing over the fans who (like me) like to sit on the backstretch. I was so glad to see the new design that I half decided to join the T&F News tour and attend the meet. However, after suffering through the presentation of the Commonwealth Games, not to mention last year's London WC, I don't think I want to attend another Worlds. As gh posted last year, the NBC Gold separate streams for races and field events are "better than being there".
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    This guy use to work at TandFNews.....

To supporters of the ultra-modern new track stadium, congratulations. Your vision won out over the old school’s nostalgia. While you celebrate, I make three pleas:

Please keep your celebrations subdued. Hundreds, if not thousands, of us have long histories with Hayward Field. Respect that we’re now on a death watch, with a long spell of mourning to follow.

Please retain links to community runners that Bill Bowerman fostered. Host some all-comers meets, and open the doors sometimes for track use by locals. Familiarity breeds fans.

Please name the stadium something other than Hayward Field. Retire the old name along with the old stadium. The new will have no link to Hayward beyond the bare ground it occupies, and it won’t become historic for decades.

Joe Henderson

Eugene

http://registerguard.com/rg/opinion/...gnity.html.csp

4. Collapse Details

Please name the stadium something other than Hayward Field. Retire the old name along with the old stadium. The new will have no link to Hayward beyond the bare ground it occupies, and it won’t become historic for decades.
    ^ Makes sense. There's a reason the Stockholm (1912) Olympic Stadium is still regarded as an icon in the world of athletics, despite having undergone many track and seating renovations within the place since it opened.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 04-21-2018 at 04:09 AM.

5. Collapse Details

I kinda like the idea of a new name. Hayward Field will not be there anymore, just go ahead and name it after someone else.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    ^ Makes sense. There's a reason the Stockholm (1912) Olympic Stadium is still regarded as an icon in the world of athletics, despite having undergone many track and seating renovations within the place since it opened.
    true enough, but as wonderful a bit of classic architecture that it is, it too would have to undergo some serious overall changes if it were to be considered up to snuff for the hosting of a World Championships.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by americantrackfan View Post
    I kinda like the idea of a new name. Hayward Field will not be there anymore, just go ahead and name it after someone else.
    How about "Uncle Phil's Happy Playground"?

8. Collapse Details

Jordan Hasay's Former Playground?

Galen Rupp's Pup Tent?

Alberto Salazar's Torture Chamber?

Seriously, I agree with everything Joe Henderson said!!

9. Collapse Details

As much as I waxed nostalgic over a venue where my history as a fan is limited to the last eight years, I'll admit I look forward to a more comfortable stadium, and once the gun is up, most of us will be paying attention to the race at hand, not bemoaning the loss of Hayward as we knew it. Besides, it will give my kids....with one OT and two editions of Pre under their belts.... something to wax nostalgic about to THEIR kids someday.

Naming....unfortunately I expect a corporate tilt in the name, but "Nike this-or-that" sounds better than Sports Authority Field at Mile High (Denver Broncos' stadium). If there were to be a person's name attached to it, Pre, Bowerman, or Knight? I'd pick Pre, hands down. Bowerman built the program, but Pre created the legend.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    ... Bowerman built the program, but Pre created the legend.
    Having competed in a collegiate dual at Hayward when Pre was still a HS junior, I can assure you that the joint rocked like no other before he ever came on board.