Facts, Not Fiction

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Seems like this one from the front page has flown under the radar
    The article was in my paper this morning and this was very off-putting to me:

Cooper . . . was armed and ready with three different hats (Ohio State, Texas and Oregon) to put on his head.
    I realize that this could simply be youthful playfulness, but it just smacked of hubris to me. He's had his share of missteps, and his advisors should be telling him to play it low-key for a while.
    It will be very helpful that he won't be The Big Cheese at UO, as he has been in Miami for the past umpteen years. Although sprinters aren't always known for their humility, it would be an excellent quality for him to exhibit now.
    I also wish him the best and certainly hope his career doesn't play like Obea Moore and William Reed, previous age-group quarter-miler phenoms, did.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    he may well have been influenced by a frequently run commercial on TV (I don't remember whose it is) where the HS recruiter has to sit and watch his prize catch choose among hats. Is that perhaps now a thing?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I also wish him the best and certainly hope his career doesn't play like Obea Moore and William Reed, previous age-group quarter-miler phenoms, did.
    Yes. Hoping for a Michael Norman-like experience for him at Oregon, but thinking, "this isn't going to go well."

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Interesting....The Ducks apparently had the 7th best recruiting class in the country and the RG doesn't even mention him today.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Interesting....The Ducks apparently had the 7th best recruiting class in the country and the RG doesn't even mention him today.
    Found these tweets about Cooper on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/ByCoryMull/statu...80303278424064

Spoke with Oregon communications to verify Tyrese Cooper had signed with the Ducks today. Learned that Cooper is not part of the football signing class and that he has yet to send in his official NLI paperwork for track, which means he's not a part of the Oregon Class just yet.

This was followed by several other tweets that concluded:

https://twitter.com/ByCoryMull/status/1093291520734695425

A bit of chaos has found an answer: Oregon hired a new Track SID in January, who was not informed on previous signings prior to his arrival. Tyrese Cooper signed officially in December, but Oregon Track was unable to confirm directly until speaking with compliance today.
    Last edited by br; 02-07-2019 at 10:17 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by br View Post
    Oregon hired a new Track SID in January, who was not informed on previous signings prior to his arrival. Tyrese Cooper signed officially in December, but Oregon Track was unable to confirm directly until speaking with compliance today.[/I]
    Oopsie. Not a good performance by the SID Office, which wouldn't raise an eyebrow for T&F, but he's FOOTBALL fuhcryinoutloud!

7. Collapse Details

These signing ceremonies are getting ridiculous, and often they're a charade enabled by the parents. For example, I know of one kid who last year had a basketball signing ceremony despite not receiving any scholarship offers and was merely walking on, but everyone at his school think he's on a full ride. Schools will sign kids for nothing more than book expenses and they'll have signing ceremonies. I know of another another kid who's been advertising her big signing ceremony in social media where she will choose between 4 major track powers and a Sun Belt school despite the fact that the Sun Belt school is the only school that offered her a scholarship and she's already signed.

By the way, I can't find any mention of Tyrese Cooper on Oregon football's twitter page or its website. I had no idea that he even played football to be honest, so I'm sort of suspicious about what's really going on given the fact that Oregon's track team was oblivious until a few days ago.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 02-08-2019 at 01:06 AM.

8. Collapse Details

I don't think he'll get much playing time in football. With 85 scholarships plus walk-ons, there's not enough minutes to go around, and he's not nearly as great at football as on the track. He's no Devon Allen, who probably would be in the NFL now if he didn't get those knee injuries.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 02-08-2019 at 11:15 AM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Seems like this one from the front page has flown under the radar:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/h...225561920.html

Somehow feels a bit unsettling. I hope he has a great track career, avoids football injuries, gets an education and stays out of trouble. Not necessarily in that order.
    Hear hear.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    he may well have been influenced by a frequently run commercial on TV (I don't remember whose it is) where the HS recruiter has to sit and watch his prize catch choose among hats. Is that perhaps now a thing?
    The hat thing is a thing and an annoying one at that. We had a kid choose between 'Bama and Georgia yesterday and he did the feign picking up the Bama hat and picked up the Georgia hat trick. It's just obnoxious and I'm not the least bit of the old guy yelling at clouds type.

What Jazzy refers to with walk ons "signing" at school ceremonies has been going on for it seems like a decade although it has gotten out of hand the last few years.