Facts, Not Fiction

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    And all the more reason to not give up on this kid. Enrolling him in the University if Crine (prison) will more than likely see him graduate with “honours”.

David Dixon, a kiwi, a Maori, and a former 156kg NFL guard for the Vikings, was almost certainly on the fast track to join his brothers as a patched member of the Black Piwer criminal gang and prison. However he was spirited away to the USA when he was in high school to play football.

As Dixon said in a documentary being given the chance to play football on scholarship saved him from a life of crime. Hopefully someone will give young Nr Cooper a chance.
    I hope someone figures out what is wrong and intervenes.

2. Collapse Details

Wasn't an earlier (male) teen phenom in a similar situation---maybe decades ago?
    I seem to remember this Message Board discussing such a person.
    Can't remember who, however!
    Anyone?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    Wasn't an earlier (male) teen phenom in a similar situation---maybe decades ago?
    Xavier Carter, about 1 decade ago. But at least he got in a couple years of college and some money on the pro circuit before legal problems damaged his career. If Cooper's pending cases go unfavorably for him, his athletic career may have already ended before he experienced any of those benefits.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    I seem to remember this Message Board discussing such a person.
    Can't remember who, however!
    Anyone?
    The athlete who comes to my mind in this connection is Adrian Ward, a high school phenom from Baltimore. Was the US National Junior Champion at both 400m and 400m Hurdles in 1981. Got a track scholarship to Villanova.

What then happened was worse than auto theft. Got him life plus 60. End of track career, needless to say.

>> Judge, Paul Dorf sentenced Ward to life for first-degree rape and two related sexual offenses and imposed 60 years for assault with intent to murder, robbery with a deadly weapon and daytime housebreaking.<<

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/06/02/s...-for-rape.html

5. Collapse Details

Aaron may also be thinking of Casey Combest who set the HSR at 6.57 for 60m indoors in 1999 then got convicted for drug trafficking in 2000.

6. Collapse Details

Adding to this tally of talented transgressors:

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    i believe you'll find a thread on Historical that discusses the all-graybar-hotel team

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    i believe you'll find a thread on Historical that discusses the all-graybar-hotel team
    Link: All-time prison team?

Also some discussion here: greatest talent--- - wasted

9. Collapse Details

He's b-a-a-a-a-a-c-k . . .

Running in the Mark Trail Invitational in Georgia over the weekend, Cooper won the 100 in 10.60, the 400 in 47.18, and then the 200 21.38.

10. Collapse Details

I hope he gets a scholarship with a school where the coach cares about him and his future ; and not just his ability to score points for the team