Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I agree with Mr. Dary & Mr. Truedson that the story about rot in the East Grandstand sounds rotten. Here's why: The Worlds were awarded to Eugene in April 2015, and the renovation was officially announced that September. In late May 2016, artist's concept drawings and 4 pages of project drawings were released. I find it very difficult to believe that the project design had advanced to that stage without licensed structural engineers having already conducted a comprehensive inspection and study of the East Grandstand. To do so would have been irresponsible.

Yet the promise of at least the exterior of the East Grandstand remaining visually intact remained the public story through the end of 2017, by which time rumors of its demise had surfaced, reported by the Oregonian in January 2018, and officially confirmed by the UO Foundation in the R-G in March 2018. If there really is "dry rot" that cannot be fixed without total demolition, this would have been known back in 2016.

Yes, the rotten wood story has been used before. I have been told by a retired UO faculty member who in 1972-1974 sat on the committee that was responsible for approving major UO projects that an independent structural engineer inspected the original West Grandstand at their request and found that the story of them being rotten beyond saving was baloney. Yet, with the coach being who he was, having so much power in the university and the community, the project went ahead anyway.

We're going to get what the powers-that-be want, but if the East Grandstand is demolished, they need to scrap the word "Historic" and remove it from the scoreboard and other signage.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    "We're going to get what the powers-that-be want, but if the East Grandstand is demolished, they need to scrap the word "Historic" and remove it from the scoreboard and other signage."

With this plan they could basically build their new track stadium anywhere and get far better parking ....like building Knight Arena and leaving Mac Court alone....there is nothing historic about 15th and Agate....

3. Collapse Details

I think they can do whatever they want to do. If they keep the name Hayward Field and keep the same location, they could still call it Historic and not many people are going to argue with that and if they do, that argument will not endure for very long.

Personally, I much prefer seats with backs (and even better, with backs and arm rests), and it would not bother me at all to see the East grandstand replaced with more comfortable seats.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Shaffer View Post
    I agree with Mr. Dary & Mr. Truedson that the story about rot in the East Grandstand sounds rotten. Here's why: The Worlds were awarded to Eugene in April 2015, and the renovation was officially announced that September. In late May 2016, artist's concept drawings and 4 pages of project drawings were released. I find it very difficult to believe that the project design had advanced to that stage without licensed structural engineers having already conducted a comprehensive inspection and study of the East Grandstand. To do so would have been irresponsible.

Yet the promise of at least the exterior of the East Grandstand remaining visually intact remained the public story through the end of 2017, by which time rumors of its demise had surfaced, reported by the Oregonian in January 2018, and officially confirmed by the UO Foundation in the R-G in March 2018. If there really is "dry rot" that cannot be fixed without total demolition, this would have been known back in 2016.

Yes, the rotten wood story has been used before. I have been told by a retired UO faculty member who in 1972-1974 sat on the committee that was responsible for approving major UO projects that an independent structural engineer inspected the original West Grandstand at their request and found that the story of them being rotten beyond saving was baloney. Yet, with the coach being who he was, having so much power in the university and the community, the project went ahead anyway.

We're going to get what the powers-that-be want, but if the East Grandstand is demolished, they need to scrap the word "Historic" and remove it from the scoreboard and other signage.

Today's RG....
    "The talk of dry rot in the east grandstand at Hayward Field brings back memories. Years ago, when I was chairman of the University of Oregonís campus planning committee, someone talked Bill Bowerman into wanting a new west grandstand as a sort of monument to himself.

A structural engineer hired to examine the stadium reported back that there was nothing wrong with the west grandstand, but that the roof on the east one needed to be attached more firmly. Bowerman told him to look again. Miraculously, the west stand suddenly developed problems that required its demolition.

The official version, as reported in the local newspaper, was that the fire marshal had declared it unsafe. No need to follow the usual university processes for permission to replace it.

Sadly for Bowerman, the eventual replacement was much less grand than he had been led to expect, but at least our beloved historic east stands remained intact ó until now. Dry rot, they say."

http://registerguard.com/rg/opinion/...-else.html.csp

5. Collapse Details

Here's another "Thing Not T&F:"

A former UO student, runner, and remodeling contractor has officially submitted a plan to designate the East Grandstand a Eugene City Landmark.

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/t...stand.html.csp

6. Collapse Details

Of course it's not current events.... how silly can you be ..but it is front page news now...

7. Collapse Details

The latest leak, via Ken Goe in the Oregonian, is that the east-west street immediately north of Hayward Field, E. 15th St., will need to be closed to motor vehicles to allow for temporary seating on the north turn.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfi...rt_river_index

Perhaps, though, the closure will only be during the Worlds, and 15th was closed to motor vehicles during the past 3 Trials because the of the temporary bleachers.

8. Collapse Details

Today's RG...

Who in their right mind would challenge Phil Knightís monetary gifts to the University of Oregon relating to taking down the universityís iconic sports east grandstand (ďLandmark proposal for Hayward Field,Ē March 31)? It would be similar to the man in Tiananmen Square who faced a huge tank.

Yet it suddenly occurred to me yesterday while looking at the grandstand from the parking lot of the Bowerman Building that the east grandstand is probably the most noticeable and scenic structure in the entire track complex. Even the statue of Bowerman looked lovingly at the building.

Thatís right, a simple wood structure built for observing football and track competition. It isnít elaborate plastic, but downright 1920s wood-beam functionalism. So darned simple itís beautiful.

The east grandstand was moved 30 feet east in 1987-88 and dropped down on new concrete footings and baseplates to meet strict code requirements, reducing the chance of dry rot. A fire-alarm system with sprinklers was added, as was new electrical wiring. The building was restored at that time. Maybe someone can explain to me how a building that was moved 30 feet east and didnít fall apart is suddenly dilapidated.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Today's RG...

Who in their right mind would challenge Phil Knight’s monetary gifts to the University of Oregon relating to taking down the university’s iconic sports east grandstand (“Landmark proposal for Hayward Field,” March 31)? It would be similar to the man in Tiananmen Square who faced a huge tank.

Yet it suddenly occurred to me yesterday while looking at the grandstand from the parking lot of the Bowerman Building that the east grandstand is probably the most noticeable and scenic structure in the entire track complex. Even the statue of Bowerman looked lovingly at the building.

That’s right, a simple wood structure built for observing football and track competition. It isn’t elaborate plastic, but downright 1920s wood-beam functionalism. So darned simple it’s beautiful.

The east grandstand was moved 30 feet east in 1987-88 and dropped down on new concrete footings and baseplates to meet strict code requirements, reducing the chance of dry rot. A fire-alarm system with sprinklers was added, as was new electrical wiring. The building was restored at that time. Maybe someone can explain to me how a building that was moved 30 feet east and didn’t fall apart is suddenly dilapidated.
    While it doesn't seem dilapidated to me, 1988 was 30 years ago...

Here's a cool picture of them moving it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/101302536@N02/10214641893

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Meet today at Hayward, in rain and strong winds. Several videos on Twitter were posted earlier of the roof of the east grandstand starting to flap up in places. Now Austin Meet is tweeting that shingles are blowing on to the track. Sounds super safe!