Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hayward Field...
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    The latest saga reads more like a crime story....so even the head coach hasn't seen the plans....but he is good to go because they pay his salary....

The stuff with the rotting wood in the East Grandstand is exactly the nonsense that they pulled in tearing down the West Grandstand 40+ years ago....and made a mess of it in the end.

2. Collapse Details

If there are plans to tear down the East grandstand then I predict it getting tied up in the courts, and with a short deadline that is a challenge. Which could mean the organizers have to quickly switch to a plan B. Who knows, it could be what they’ve always wanted but haven’t been able to get the IAAF to approve—or, alternately, a way for all involved to say “this just isn’t going to work” followed by a quick switch to a different host, as was once done with Mexico City.

3. Collapse Details

Ken Goe of the Orygunian counted the permanent public seats last month, and came up with "about 8,500," including an estimate of 150 for the Powell Plaza, despite the official stadium capacity having been published as 10,500 for decades.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfi...rt_river_index

In May-June 2015, I very carefully counted every single row, end to end, of every section in each grandstand and came up with: West 4,066 + East 4,305 = 8,371 for paying seats only, not including press box and other always-reserved media areas nor any temporary bleachers. Adding 150 for the Powell Plaza would yield a total of 8,521, so Goe and I agree on the count.

To me, this raises the question of how many permanent seats are really planned for Hayward after the renovation. If, for example, the UO Foundation tells us "12,000," is that about 3,500 more seats than at present, or is it only 1,500 more seats, pretending that it's 10,500 now, which it's not? I guess I'll have to do another count in 2 or 3 years.
    Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 03-27-2018 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Minor typos

4. Collapse Details

The only thing left that is 'Historic' at Hayward Field is the East Grandstand....

5. Collapse Details

"Unlike the current east grandstand, there won't be any obstructed views and there will be proper-sized seating for people," the UO Foundation head says.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield/index.ssf/2018/03/hayward_field_renovation_plan.html#incart_river_in dex

"Proper-sized?" Does Mr. Weinhold mean wider, or narrower, than the current 18-inch marked width of the numbered seating on the East Grandstand benches?

In practical terms, except for the Olympic Trials and the Prefontaine Classic, you can stretch out and occupy as much width as you wish in the East Grandstand. You can even lie down and snooze during long breaks between events in the multis. If they put in plastic bucket seats, that option will be gone, although I realize that some fans really want to have a seat-back.

I'll miss seeing the spike holes in the old-growth bench seats--they aren't making lumber like that anymore--along with some carved initials dated at least as far back as the 1930s.
    Last edited by Charley Shaffer; 03-27-2018 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Clarify last sentence.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AyZiggy View Post
    ....or, alternately, a way for all involved to say “this just isn’t going to work” followed by a quick switch to a different host....
    My high school laid down a new all-weather track a year ago.....

7. Collapse Details

Looking more and more like Hayward as we know it will be totally gone, really wish I'd been able to make it out there and see it....if they tear down the whole thing it basically loses all significance to me.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Shaffer View Post
    "Unlike the current east grandstand, there won't be any obstructed views and there will be proper-sized seating for people," the UO Foundation head says.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield/index.ssf/2018/03/hayward_field_renovation_plan.html#incart_river_in dex

"Proper-sized?" Does Mr. Weinhold mean wider, or narrower, than the current 18-inch marked width of the numbered seating on the East Grandstand benches?

In practical terms, except for the Olympic Trials and the Prefontaine Classic, you can stretch out and occupy as much width as you wish in the East Grandstand. You can even lie down and snooze during long breaks between events in the multis. If they put in plastic bucket seats, that option will be gone, although I realize that some fans really want to have a seat-back.

I'll miss seeing the spike holes in the old-growth bench seats--they aren't making lumber like that anymore--along with some carved initials dated at least as far back as the 1930s.
    The East Grandstand is great to sit in....I found the West very difficult without an aisle seat...and that a complaint I heard from a few....I would never sit in the West again.

The whole project is stupid....all for a one off meet...in a residential area....

9. Collapse Details

The West Grandstand has significantly less legroom between rows than the East; if it were a stairway, one could state that the "run" is less in the West. I've been told that this may have been the result of a limited budget when they were built. The incline of the West is also steeper than the East by approximately 3 degrees.

If you don't care about having a back on your seat, the East Grandstand can be very comfortable.

Hmm . . . I wonder if they could repurpose that old growth lumber from the seat benches into the new design somewhere. When "The Athletic Department" (the Nike store in Eugene) moved from 855 Olive St. to its second location ca. 1973, Geoff Hollister used hundreds of board feet from the just-demolished 1918-1919 West Grandstand as rustic wall paneling, doors, and shelves.

10. Collapse Details