Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    ESPN dominance list
    No problem for Tiger being on the list. However, giving him an overall dominance rating of 17.0 compared to others, for example Bolt’s 9.5 rating, is just plain stupid. And taking Tiger’s last 10 years out of the evaluation just makes their list even less credible.

I also find Felix’s rating on the list not particularly credible, especially if you take out her relays and look at her individual performances. There are a number of female TNFers who IMO were much more dominant than Felix. For example, Isinbayeva, Valerie Adams,
    Last edited by Tuariki; 03-21-2018 at 06:05 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Brittney Reese probably has a better case than Felix. But fact is ESPN guys barely care about Track and Field at all and certainly would not bother to actually research track and field results before throwing together a list like this. As far as Adams and Isinbayeva ESPN is totally US centric. Phelps is apparently not on the list because there are no annual swimming rankings (which of course is not true).

3. Collapse Details

Yeah, the guy said there were no annual swimming rankings, so I tweeted that he must not know about Swimming World magazine which does similar rankings to TAFNews. Phelps was swimmer of the year 8 times between 2003-2016.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Peyton Manning number 3...way ahead of Brady...who can take nonsense like that seriously....

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    No problem for Tiger being on the list. However, giving him an overall dominance rating of 17.0 compared to others, for example Boltís 9.5 rating, is just plain stupid. And taking Tigerís last 10 years out of the evaluation just makes their list even less credible.

I also find Felixís rating on the list not particularly credible, especially if you take out her relays and look at her individual performances. There are a number of female TNFers who IMO were much more dominant than Felix. For example, Isinbayeva, Valerie Adams,
    I will not get into whether Felix belongs on the list or not. But why would you take out her relay performances? Her relay legs in the 4x400 were nothing less than DOMINANT!

6. Collapse Details

Why would anyone on this board put any credence in ESPN's judgment regarding their opinions about the dominance of T&F athletes?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TF4Ever View Post
    I will not get into whether Felix belongs on the list or not. But why would you take out her relay performances? Her relay legs in the 4x400 were nothing less than DOMINANT!
    Because her relay performances, as are all relay performances, subjective. To my knowledge, there is no way of obtaining a valid official time for an exact distance in a relay. Therefore, one cannot claim she was the dominating member of her relay team

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    Because her relay performances, as are all relay performances, subjective. To my knowledge, there is no way of obtaining a valid official time for an exact distance in a relay. Therefore, one cannot claim she was the dominating member of her relay team
    You can honestly hide behind "subjectivity" and "unofficial" splits to state you do not know if Felix has been dominant on her relay leg in the 4x400. Your eyes do not tell you she has been dominating her relay leg. The "relay splits" do not verify what your eyes have seen? What races have you been watching?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    Why would anyone on this board put any credence in ESPN's judgment regarding their opinions about the dominance of T&F athletes?
    ^This. And I don't take their opinions about the dominance of athletes in ANY sport seriously. And it's not just ESPN, but also SI, or any other "generic" sports media.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Yeah, the guy said there were no annual swimming rankings, so I tweeted that he must not know about Swimming World magazine which does similar rankings to TAFNews. Phelps was swimmer of the year 8 times between 2003-2016.
    Here's an article slamming ESPN for their omission of Phelps.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...321-story.html