Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Wasn't That A Great Meet?
    The 2018 NCAA Indoor Championships was a fantastic meet - even better than I thought it would be.

This morning when I was reading our morning newspaper (San Francisco Chronicle), I could not find one word (much less photograph) about this outstanding meet. I couldn't even find any results for this meet.

I understand that our sport is not the most popular sport in the United States, but this is ridiculous.

How many of you could not find any story about this championship meet in your local newspaper today?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    The 2018 NCAA Indoor Championships was a fantastic meet - even better than I thought it would be.
    This morning when I was reading our morning newspaper (San Francisco Chronicle), I could not find one word (much less photograph) about this outstanding meet. I couldn't even find any results for this meet.
    I understand that our sport is not the most popular sport in the United States, but this is ridiculous.
    How many of you could not find any story about this championship meet in your local newspaper today?
    There was a write-up in my rag because the Gators won, but yeah it was an outstanding meet with sparse coverage.

3. Collapse Details

There were some number of NCAA champions whose performance were superior to the WIC. that makes it impressive to me.

Great competition in several events.

4. Collapse Details

No mention of NCAA Champ meet in Daily Oklahoman.. detailed coverage of 6 classes of HS basketball State champ games. Neither OKSt or OU did anything of note but... this was a national championship...?????

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    There were some number of NCAA champions whose performance were superior to the WIC. that makes it impressive to me.

Great competition in several events.
    On the men's side at least the NCAA was far superior....the distance races in Birmingham were a,joke....

And then add in the idiotic track referees....

6. Collapse Details

Track has become a niche sport and is not commercial, so sports editors ignore it.

7. Collapse Details

My dad subscribes to the Dallas Morning News (just three hours north of College Station) and he complained that they didn't mention it.
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

8. Collapse Details

This reminds me when I was a student at BYU and a member of the cross-country team back in 1969. The football team was getting maximum coverage in the school newspaper while losing almost every game (this was pre Lavell Edwards days) and the cross-country team was winning every meet with zero coverage. I wrote a letter to the sports editor re this and he called me and talked me into covering CC. Then I also was able to cover the track season and loved it.

9. Collapse Details

The Sunday edition the NY Times had not a single word about the NCAA championships, but they did have a 19-paragraph article about the Manchester United vs. Liverpool soccer game. :-(

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    To be fair the only college sports the Times covers is football and basketball ....

Premier League soccer is big business these days...so a story is not surprising....especially Man U vs Liverpool..