Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    1990 4x100m questions
    I am tryng to sort out an oddity from my 1990 4x100m relay list. I have Arizona recording 39.09 at 2 different venues,Tuscon & Knoxville, on 5th May 1990. The Tuscon result is from the Spanish AEEA deep world list and the Knoxville(Gatorade Classic) result is from Patinauds Temps Automatiques 1932-1990. I have trawled the web for answers to no avail, maybe some kind person has a Track Newsletter from 1990 that covers this era.

My second question concerns 1990 Mt San Antonio College squad that ran 39.32 at Mt SAC relays. I have Victor Nwankwo, Davidson Ezinwa, Osmond Ezinwa & AN Other. Does anyone know who is AN Other.
    As usual many thanks to all who have read my past messages and have helped.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dadme View Post
    I am tryng to sort out an oddity from my 1990 4x100m relay list. I have Arizona recording 39.09 at 2 different venues,Tuscon & Knoxville, on 5th May 1990. The Tuscon result is from the Spanish AEEA deep world list and the Knoxville(Gatorade Classic) result is from Patinauds Temps Automatiques 1932-1990. I have trawled the web for answers to no avail, maybe some kind person has a Track Newsletter from 1990 that covers this era.

My second question concerns 1990 Mt San Antonio College squad that ran 39.32 at Mt SAC relays. I have Victor Nwankwo, Davidson Ezinwa, Osmond Ezinwa & AN Other. Does anyone know who is AN Other.
    As usual many thanks to all who have read my past messages and have helped.
    You probably already have this info but this may stop others wasting their time and some might find it interesting...
    Marc Olivier, Percy Knox, Michael Bates and James Bullock of ASU ran 38.89 for 2nd at the 1990 NCAA after a 39.20 in the heats. They are also listed with a 39.56 in Seattle on 20 May 1990. Results from http://digilander.libero.it/atletica...1990/4x100.htm

The time of 39.09 only appears once on that same list in Knoxville on 5 May for first place but with no names and no affiliation. ASU seem to have been capable of that time that year and regularly attend the Gatorade Classic.

As an aside, none of those athletes appear on the 100 (#10 = 10.30) or 200 (20.59) ASU list, so their passes must have been pretty damn good. They beat other teams at NCAA that included names like M. Johnson, D. Florence & A. Cason, F. Fredericks, O. Adeniken, etc.

ASU in their infinite wisdom don't list all time relays only individual events so can't confirm they ran in Knoxville in 1990. The University of Tennesse don't appear to have any historical records of the Gatorade Classic online. So much for universities preserving and transmitting knowledge.

As far as MtSAC goes, AN Other sounds like somebody serving a drugs ban or otherwise dubiously ineligible. Those three guys ran a relay for Nigeria in the US with "Aladefa" at the Good Will Games in July. Yemi Aladefa, also from Nigeria was at Missouri State at that time, so he might have run with the others at Mt SAC as a tune up for GWG but obviously not eligible for Mt SAC college team. Maybe Missouri would have been unhappy to see his name in the results?

3. Collapse Details

The July 1990 issue of T&FN show that the 4x100 at the Gatorade meet in Knoxville on 4-5 May was won by Tennessee in the rather modest time of 41.38. I didn't see any Arizona athletes in any events as reported by T&FN.

The same edition shows a time of 39.09 for Arizona in the U.S. Year List (for marks reported by May 29). The mark of 39.09 is NOT in the year list in the June edition (marks reported by May 3). I didn't see any mention in the July edition of where the 39.09 time might have been achieved.

4. Collapse Details

FWIW, this link includes top 10 relay marks for Arizona from about 2010...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...andRecords.pdf

However, it has the wrong date for the 38.89 from the 1990 NCAA and omits the 39.20 from the heats of that meet.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dadme View Post
    I am tryng to sort out an oddity from my 1990 4x100m relay list. I have Arizona recording 39.09 at 2 different venues,Tuscon & Knoxville, on 5th May 1990. The Tuscon result is from the Spanish AEEA deep world list and the Knoxville(Gatorade Classic) result is from Patinauds Temps Automatiques 1932-1990. I have trawled the web for answers to no avail, maybe some kind person has a Track Newsletter from 1990 that covers this era.....
    TN confirms the Tucson site/date, but sorry no personnel listed.