Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Collapse Details

Which is why we should get rid of the 1600m at the high school level.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    The doctors might like this story by Keith Humphreys who teaches at Stanford....

My Favorite Roger Bannister Story

March 4, 2018 By Keith Humphreys

I grieve the loss of Sir Roger Bannister, whom I never got to repay for his kindness to me. But at least let me relate my favorite story about the great man.

Many people don’t realize that his achievements didn’t end after his famous athletic feat. He went on to become a prominent and respected neurologist who mentored a number of my London-based colleagues. One of them was training in internal medicine and Sir Roger was teaching a mini-rotation on neurology. She was struggling and he had to give her some feedback.

He: “You simply spend too long with each patient. You will never have as much time in everyday practice as you spent with that head injury case this morning. Just make an quick initial assessment and refer the patient on to neurology if you suspect serious damage.”

She: “I needed the 30 minutes to be sure.”

He: “In practice, you will have to do at least 15 of these screenings in an hour.”

She (getting irritated): “I can’t do a neurological screening in just 4 minutes!”

He (with a kind smile): “You might be surprised what you can accomplish in 4 minutes.”

3. Collapse Details

Conor----
    LOVE that story!!

Reminds me of my favorite Playboy cartoon joke!

Two foxy women are watching a guy speeding around the track!
    One says to the other--
    Running the Mile isn't the ONLY thing he does in under four minutes!!

LOL

4. Collapse Details

Great anecdote. Thanks.

5. Collapse Details
    Life is divided in quarters
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    The doctors might like this story by Keith Humphreys who teaches at Stanford....

My Favorite Roger Bannister Story

March 4, 2018 By Keith Humphreys

I grieve the loss of Sir Roger Bannister, whom I never got to repay for his kindness to me. But at least let me relate my favorite story about the great man.

Many people don’t realize that his achievements didn’t end after his famous athletic feat. He went on to become a prominent and respected neurologist who mentored a number of my London-based colleagues. One of them was training in internal medicine and Sir Roger was teaching a mini-rotation on neurology. She was struggling and he had to give her some feedback.

He: “You simply spend too long with each patient. You will never have as much time in everyday practice as you spent with that head injury case this morning. Just make an quick initial assessment and refer the patient on to neurology if you suspect serious damage.”

She: “I needed the 30 minutes to be sure.”

He: “In practice, you will have to do at least 15 of these screenings in an hour.”

She (getting irritated): “I can’t do a neurological screening in just 4 minutes!”

He (with a kind smile): “You might be surprised what you can accomplish in 4 minutes.”
    Thanks Conor for great story on the true measure of a man, in his heart not appearance.
    As a neurologist, I appreciate Sir Roger's insight on how to be a great doctor and keep the patient relationship alive even if for just four minutes.
    I was told that a great doctor has seven senses, not the common five we all know (vision, hearing, smell, taste, and touch). The other two are common sense and a sixth sense in treating patients. Not every symptom is rare and complicated and if the problem is above your level or doesn't sound right use your sixth sense and get a second opinion from a trusted colleague.

Sir Roger was my inspiration in running a mile and in entering neurology in the 60's and both roads have been satisfying and rewarding to me and my family.

Hope his memory will always be an inspiration to others for another 88 years.

6. Collapse Details

Did not know midwestfan was a neurologist - so we now have 2 on this board, along with Pego.

That was a great story about Roger Bannister

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Glad folks, especially the MDs, like it....here is the link..

http://www.samefacts.com/2018/03/hea...nnister-story/

8. Collapse Details

In 1959, the author Anthony Burgess [A Clockwork Orange, Earthly Powers, The Enderby Quartet] was diagnosed with a Brain Tumour, and was then examined by Bannister, who was able to allay Burgess's fears with a correct diagnosis [Burgess lived another 34 years], and Bannister then appeared as a very positive character [Dr Railton] in Burgess's next book [the Doctor is sick]