Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by catson52 View Post
    I meant that each 400 m segment was literally run inside 60.0. I have looked at the race on youtube many times, and the slowest 400 m circuit appear to be ~59.7.
    Right....now I understand....yes I too have watched it many times and I think that is correct....the commentary by Cram and Hutchings is so comical.....insane splits and he just keeps going on...

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Right....now I understand....yes I too have watched it many times and I think that is correct....the commentary by Cram and Hutchings is so comical.....insane splits and he just keeps going on...
    If you ever get to meet Cram, and he's in the mood to be open about some things, ask him what he was thinking while calling that race. You might find it very funny in some ways.

No, it's not up to me to say anything, lol. And these days, he might just ask what the heck you're talking about. Just because.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catson52 View Post
    Not sure which "eras" are not questionable to some degree. About a decade back, on one of these threads, someone posted that the even Walter George and Lon Myers, may have used some form of chemical assistance.
    Now really. That's quite funny. In many ways. Were they allowed to avoid out of season / out of competition testing - while all the finger pointing concentrated on a single, safe political target? Even Laura Muir would agree that (type of) discussion is for another thread. The topic is supposed to be Sir Roger, not highly caffeinated athletes (who of course would never knowingly take anything else, not even an aspirin).
    Last edited by Madd Marine; 03-06-2018 at 08:59 AM.

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    A 4 minute mile on cinder in the mid 1950s while in medical school, goes on to have a successful medical practice, serves his country in the Army medical corp, married to the same wife for his entire life, that aint not too shabby. ... It still boggles the mind.

"To the contrary, Bannister replied essentially that he instead saw his subsequent forty years of practicing as a neurologist and some of the new procedures he introduced as being more significant. " - Roger Bannister

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Bannister
    Last edited by user4; 03-06-2018 at 09:04 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Marine View Post
    If you ever get to meet Cram, and he's in the mood to be open about some things, ask him what he was thinking while calling that race. You might find it very funny in some ways.

No, it's not up to me to say anything, lol. And these days, he might just ask what the heck you're talking about. Just because.
    I have met Cram....I know Hutchings slightly and talked to him a few times....next time I see him I might ask...but I suspect I know what he would say....

6. Collapse Details

Indicative, I think, of Bannister's stature and that of the sport today:

Monday's Charlotte Observer gave a full 1/3 page to Bannister's death and career.

On the same day and page, the World Indoor Championship got less than 10% of that -- 3 column inches (and that was only about Poland & the US breaking the 4 x 400 WR)

7. Collapse Details

That's more coverage than I've seen....the Chicago Tribune had literally nothing....the NYTimes had a very short thing about Poland winning the relay....The Eugene Register Guard only mentioned locals like Blankenship and the Ducks competing without even publishing the results....

Meanwhile the NYTimes has a big story today on Coe misleading Parliament...

The good news is I haven't seen anything about all of the dq's......

8. Collapse Details

I don't think any major city newspaper can be less track aware than the Daily Oklahoman. It barely acknowledged the Summer or Winter Olympics and the only track related item I recall since is a nice article on Vernon Turner.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    I have met Cram....I know Hutchings slightly and talked to him a few times....next time I see him I might ask...but I suspect I know what he would say....
    Never met Hutchings. It would be interesting to hear what Hutchings would say - as long as he wasn't being guarded in terms of being concerned about his work. Cram and some other past stars are interesting off the record in terms of their observations and what they know or have heard.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sigmon View Post
    Indicative, I think, of Bannister's stature and that of the sport today:

Monday's Charlotte Observer gave a full 1/3 page to Bannister's death and career.

On the same day and page, the World Indoor Championship got less than 10% of that -- 3 column inches (and that was only about Poland & the US breaking the 4 x 400 WR)
    San Francisco Chronicle ignored the WIC but not only gave Bannister about a half-page in the sports section, but also gave him one of the 3-line "inside" notifications on the main front page.

Tell me again that the 4:00 mile doesn't remain very much in the public consciousness.