Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    "43 years later, Komen ran two miles back to back, each in less than 4 minutes. His 1996 3K record is even more amazing. I believe each 400 m segment was run in less than a minute. "

I'd say so....58.7 avg....

Komen's 7:20 still boggles the mind... more than even Bolt's achievements.
    Here's a comparison of the differentials between the WR's in the Mile and Two Mile and the 1500 & 3000---

3:26.00 to 7:20.67
    Average 1500's in 3000 was (rounded off) 3:40.34.
    That is a 14.34 per 1500 slowdown.

3:43.13 to 7:58.61
    Average Miles in Two Mile was (rounded off) 3:59.30.
    That is a (rounded off for the Mile also) 16.16 per Mile slowdown.

2. Collapse Details

I was a high school teen in England when Bannister did it. I had to read about it in a newspaper a week later. I was luckier for the Vancouver Commonwealth mile, live...radio. They would show the Iffley Road Mile every morning on early TV (before regular shows) and I would time it on my stop watch. Now I don't even know how to make my stopwatch element on my watch work.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    Here's a comparison of the differentials between the WR's in the Mile and Two Mile and the 1500 & 3000---

3:26.00 to 7:20.67
    Average 1500's in 3000 was (rounded off) 3:40.34.
    That is a 14.34 per 1500 slowdown.

3:43.13 to 7:58.61
    Average Miles in Two Mile was (rounded off) 3:59.30.
    That is a (rounded off for the Mile also) 16.16 per Mile slowdown.
    Too bad times/comparisons/stats from an extremely questionable "era" in the sport made it into this particular thread. But not surprising.

4. Collapse Details

Interested indeed.

5. Collapse Details

Farewell to a legend who transcended sport.

6. Collapse Details

Yes indeed, Bambam1729 Sir Roger Gilbert bannister, CBE, MA, BSc, DM, FRCP can be gauged more off the track than on the track. He was a world authority on the Autonomic Nervous System and was the prestigious editor of Brain's Clinical Neurology for three decades. (Lord Brain was one of the most famous legendary neurologists in Britain from the 1930's. I have a copy of Bannister's 4th edition from 1973.
    He was also the chief physician at the Hospital for Nervous Diseases at Queen Square.

Dr. Bannister lived to 88 years which converts to 32, 481 days and more outstanding 2,806,358,400+ seconds. He is known best for just 239.4 seconds in his life.

I had the opportunity to meet Dr. Bannister at a Neurology Convention in 1979 just weeks before his 25th anniversary of his mile. He was most gracious and gave me his autograph on a picture I brought from the cover of Runner's magazine that honored him that month.

Every runner dreams of running 60 seconds for four quarters just like Dr. Bannister. He inspired me to almost get to that dream.

The world will miss a great hero in athletics and in medicine

7. Collapse Details

The most history-making athlete of my lifetime and truly a great person. Sorry to see him go. Wish he could have lived forever.

8. Collapse Details

His death was the lead item on the BBC TV News last night. That doesn't happen with many sportspersons over 60 years after retirement.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    "43 years later, Komen ran two miles back to back, each in less than 4 minutes. His 1996 3K record is even more amazing. I believe each 400 m segment was run in less than a minute. "

I'd say so....58.7 avg....

Komen's 7:20 still boggles the mind... more than even Bolt's achievements.
    I meant that each 400 m segment was literally run inside 60.0. I have looked at the race on youtube many times, and the slowest 400 m circuit appear to be ~59.7.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Marine View Post
    Too bad times/comparisons/stats from an extremely questionable "era" in the sport made it into this particular thread. But not surprising.
    Not sure which "eras" are not questionable to some degree. About a decade back, on one of these threads, someone posted that the even Walter George and Lon Myers, may have used some form of chemical assistance.