Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    Dumb and Dumber--Men's TJ at Armory
    Dumb is the whittling down of fields as the final 3 rounds unfold. Dumber yet is what they did at the Armory today when the winner was determined by the best jump between the final two jumpers left in the field, with the previous four rounds of marks thrown out! In other words, you could set a WR in the 3rd round and have two poor jumps in the final two rounds and not be declared the winner. WTF? They introduced this as a novel experiment. As it turned out, the winning OVERALL jump happened to occur in round 5, so no harm, no foul. This is not an experiment I'd like to see repeated, but rather an ill-advised experiment for experiment's sake and who cares what the fans think.
    Last edited by bruce3404; 01-28-2018 at 02:20 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bruce3404 View Post
    This is not an experiment I'd like to see repeated, but rather an ill-advised experiment for experiment's sake and who cares what the fans think.
    Agreed. If this was done to INCREASE the suspense of who will win, it did just the opposite, as fans know that every jump counts, and you can't manufacture false suspense this way. That really insults everyone's intelligence.

3. Collapse Details

I was at the meet and heard them briefly announce how it worked. Myself as well as a group of others, including a few college athletes, were confused as to why the process was even thought up let alone implemented.

4. Collapse Details

I am apoplectic. I am usually against calling anything/anyone a GOAT but I relent, this is truly the most stupid idea I have ever heard.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 01-28-2018 at 06:46 AM.

5. Collapse Details

I heard it explained and thought it was a dumb idea. After seeing it, I thought is was even dumber idea. Makes no sense to anyone who knows field events, and those that are casual watchers probably don't care anyway because it makes no sense in the end.

6. Collapse Details

I'm guessing that this is their solution to:
    Problem: it's really hard to keep track of who is in the lead of the LJ and TJ.

Rather than figuring out a way to keep people up to date on results, they roll out this abomination.

7. Collapse Details

Imagine if that had been the case with Powell - Lewis in 1991. Ugh!

8. Collapse Details

I wonder, is the creator of this abomination aware of what must be a near unanimous backlash from everyone who understands the field events?