Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hayward Field teardown...
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    This is new....and pretty dumb....tear down an iconic stadium just for one meet....and maybe the occasional Trials...

"Sources say the original plan, which preserved the iconic east side of the stadium, has been scrapped.

The stadium project now is expected to be a complete teardown and rebuild under the direction of Howard Slusher, a longtime adviser to Nike co-founder Phil Knight. Knight is said to be a large contributor to the project. Slusher has supervised other building projects for Knight and Nike."

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfi...for_the_2.html

2. Collapse Details

Mr. Slusher lives in Palos Verdes, So California, is a lawyer and a neighbor of one of ex-wives. I know him because he likes horse racing. I guess that he is not much of a traditionalist. He is no "spring chicken," so I am surprised that he didn't stick with the old.

3. Collapse Details

"Just getting people in and out of an event at Hayward, the 99-year-old track stadium that sits on the University of Oregon campus, is a problem. There is little adjacent parking and arterial access is limited."

Like duh....it's a residential area....look east from Agate and 15th....

Though they could use Autzen for parking...

Frankly what they should do is just use Autzen...put a track in...put the throwing events at a modified Hayward...

The whole thing is set up to be a rushed mess in the end....

4. Collapse Details

I am only semi-sentimental about Hayward.. I have worked a lot of USATF, NCAA, OT there in both old and newer configurations but the only time I had a chance to compete there was the year Hayward was being reconfigured and the National Masters
    meet was held in Springfield.

5. Collapse Details

It's not so much sentimentality, they can blow up the West Grandstand for all I care the seating there now is horrible...but a White elephant....a 30,000+ stadium is way too big for a majority of the meets there....and all this for one meet...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Frankly what they should do is just use Autzen...put a track in...put the throwing events at a modified Hayward...
    You gonna suggest to the Ducks that they demolish 15 rows on each sideline, and 25 rows in each end zone to fit the track in? Let me know how that goes over.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    You gonna suggest to the Ducks that they demolish 15 rows on each sideline, and 25 rows in each end zone to fit the track in? Let me know how that goes over.
    What costs more, temporary modifying Autzen or permanently modifying Hayward for just one meet?

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Hayward requires significant upgrades whether it hosts the WC or not; might as well do it right.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    What costs more, temporary modifying Autzen or permanently modifying Hayward for just one meet?
    It wouldn't really be a temporary modification. You would have to bulldoze basically the bottom 25 rows of Autzen all around to even squeeze the track in.

10. Collapse Details

Interesting the RG has mentioned nothing on tearing down the East Grandstand....they had a story yesterday about the IAAF visit...but left out that part.....