Facts, Not Fiction

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

The only reason that Olga Nazarova II is so close to Felix is the insane 4*400 in Seoul. Still Felix is better by 0.87 from the average top-10 behind her. Grit Breuer was a wonderful relay runner (probably second best to Felix) and she is still 0.65 behind Felix. Note that the list includes many athlete that are typically in Allyson place in the relay (i.e. second or third).
    So, yes Felix is BY FAR the best relay athlete of all time - no one come close. This is not because of her order in the relay, her longevity or any other story you want to tell yourself. This is simply because somehow when Felix gets the baton she becomes almost a second better in the 400. If she will run ~50.5 in 2020 she should be in the team not because a lap of honor (that she fairly deserves), but because she is still going to be a better choice than the fourth place athlete.

2. Collapse Details

Statistics say what you want them to say:

Allyson Felix...........-1.56 - If you believe then that Felix has run her best possible 400m ever, this statistics is valuable, furthermore you cannot then make an argument about Felix at 49.2 being a 400m great as one argument (relay greatest) detracts from the other (400m great).

Marita Koch.............. -0.25 - at 47.60 which is the WR or (at this time of writing) the maximum a woman can produce to ask Koch to produce 46.03 to be considered the greatest female 4x4 runner ever is insane. Furthermore, when was Koch, given GDR's 4x4 strength ever asked to do the superhuman?

What your statistics clearly show is that like Franklin Jacobs (HJ) some years ago, Felix has one of the greatest differential ever (hello Flojo). This in and of itself does not make her the greatest relay runner ever.

3. Collapse Details

And the debate goes on, and on, and on..... LOL!!!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    If Felix finishes 5th or 6th in the trials and she's rightfully in the pool but not in any individual event, she'll (maybe not rightfully) be running in the final. It won't matter what any of the other woman are running at the time.
    If I were the 4th place finisher and bumped off the final, I'd be pissed off.
    I just hope Felix will finish in the top 4 so that we don't have to worry about any of this.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    That and a buck 85 will getcha some Joe at Starbucks!

6. Collapse Details

I just hope Felix will finish in the top 4 so that we don't have to worry about any of this.
    What is Felix finishes 4th and but Sydney McLaughlin wins the Tokyo 400h in a new AR (or WR) and has a sub 50 400 that season, should she be placed on the relay?

7. Collapse Details

You may be pissed off but it is exactly what will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    What is Felix finishes 4th and but Sydney McLaughlin wins the Tokyo 400h in a new AR (or WR) and has a sub 50 400 that season, should she be placed on the relay?
    If Ms. McLaughlin has become a media star by that point then 400m runner #3 better start looking over her shoulder. Because she isn't running.

8. Collapse Details

Gail Devers at number 1? No way! And I personally wouldn't rank Flo Jo but I won't say any more on that.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Athleticsfan View Post
    Yes, but there are even bigger offences than Felix at #3. Jeter above Ottey? No Torrence? No Privalova? No Pérec?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Athleticsfan View Post
    Evelyn Ashford NOT in the top ten?
    Total BS.