Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Wow. I bet he's 98 lbs of solid muscle after all of that.

2. Collapse Details

I have an idea. Let's all make an event called run to china and back. Because I don't think the amount of distance running events to sprinting events is enough. Let's create one more lactic acid inducing and muscle destroying event called run to china and back and then let's time it and see how long it takes.

3. Collapse Details

Run to China from where?. . Could be as short as the permissible healthy 60 meters. Clearing customs could slow things up... unless you just ran up to the border.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 12-04-2017 at 06:18 AM.

4. Collapse Details

Some ultrarunning news -- not a big interest here, I know, but perhaps worth a mention when something significant happens.

At the Desert Solstice 24hr race, Camille Herron is presently in the last ~30 minutes of what will likely be a women's 24 hr track WR -- something beyond 161 miles.
    Last edited by Master Po; 12-09-2018 at 02:32 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Looks like Ms. Herron covered ~162.8 miles/262 km, thus surpassing the previous 24hr track best of 255.3 km (Mami Kudo, JPN 2011), and also by the way surpassing the 24 hr road best of 259.9 km (Patricia Bereznowska, POL 2017). Congratulations to her!

6. Collapse Details

And that's a much more important record than the one which started the thread. 24 hrs. is an event that's regularly contested worldwide, and has its own WC.

BTW, it's Patrycja Bereznowska, not Patricia.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

Regrets that my spell-check 'function' corrected Ms. Bereznowska's first name, and that I did not catch that before posting.

As for Camille Herron, she has now got several significant marks and championship wins: 2015 IAU 50km champion; 2015 IAU 100km champion; 2017 Comrades champion; 100 mile WR; and now this 24hr WR.

What impressed me as significant regarding the 100mile WR, even if the event is less meaningful, is that she broke the previous record by more than an hour. Also, iirc, it was her first 100 miler, as this was her first 24 hour race.

She is doing very well across a wide range of ultra distances.

8. Collapse Details

Ms Herron lives in Edmond Ok. Had she run north on I-35 from OKC she would have finished about six miles north of Wichita, Kansas. Had she run south, two miles north of Denton, Texas. West on I-40, 2 miles east of Shamrock,Texas, east on I-40, two miles west of Arkansas state line.
    I don't know where I am going with that but danggg!

9. Collapse Details

Just curious.. what sort of logistical support is provided/allowed in a 24 hour "race"?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    Looks like Ms. Herron covered ~162.8 miles/262 km, thus surpassing the previous 24hr track best of 255.3 km (Mami Kudo, JPN 2011), and also by the way surpassing the 24 hr road best of 259.9 km (Patricia Bereznowska, POL 2017). Congratulations to her!
    I believe the previous US record was 159.3mi/256.4km for Courtney Dauwalter (on a track in Taipei on 02-03Dec17). Dauwalter was at Desert Solstice hoping to challenge Herron, but dropped out after 59 miles.

I'm not sure if it was linked on the home page, but last week the NY Times featured Dauwalter in a very long piece which posits that the longer the distance the smaller the biological advantages of men over women.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/05/s...mile-race.html