1. Collapse Details
    watching Chicago Marathon
    Administrator
    live stream should be available here

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...443791893.html

2. Collapse Details

Thank you.

3. Collapse Details

Saw little skinny people throughout downtown today. I'll be on Columbus Drive near the finish line Sunday, a couple of three hour marathon friends are entered(I really want to see the legend Dibaba : )

4. Collapse Details

Also on NBC Sports Channel for those who have that. I set my DVR to record it, so I can zip through it later in the day.

5. Collapse Details

I watched the NBC Olympic Gold replay on Sunday night (not knowing the results) and was disappointed. After the awesome job they did on the Berlin Marathon, this replay was posted without commentary, few splits, not even graphics regarding projected finish times. So I never really knew what pace the runners were on short of putting those few split times into Excel and doing the hard work myself.

I ended up skipping forward to the last 45 minutes after checking the size of the men's pack, watching leg turnover, knowing they were on a slow pace most of the way. It was like watching paint dry, as they say.

It's a shame because the women's race was far more interesting. My main questions were whether Dibaba was close to WR pace and how close to the AR Hasay might be. The videos were great, just nothing to back them up.

I guess I should have Tivoed the TV broadcast like mcgato.

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Rupp finished well... 4:36 pace for last 5 miles...but a real slog up to then....seemed like the East Africans were going through the motions....and Kimetto should just quit...and Tadese still hasn't broken 2:10 in a real race...so much for not drinking enough being the problem.

And I see the late addition of Emmanuel Bett might have been for a pacemaker for Rupp in the late stages...

Team tactics in marathons is a great idea. Without it cycling would be a complete bore.

Anyways I am glad I played golf yesterday morning and just zipped through the race on the dvr.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-09-2017 at 04:54 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Bett had no substantial impact on the race as far as I could see watching it last night. Braun was the main leader until the Half, then sort of leading from a tight group (8 within a second with six more right there) at 25k, and was in the rump of the pack starting to get distanced at 30k when the 5km split was 15:06 (25->30).

Rupp ran everyone out of the race at the end. When he continued to hammer Kurui the last 6 km Kurui was still full of fight but just did not have the ability to turn his legs over fast enough to stay with him. At the end he gave up and looked like the several miles trying to stay with and then trying to keep close had completely done him in despite the modest pace for half the race.

Notice that Rupp did essentially what Kipchoge did in Rio. although Rupp waited longer as the pace had already been picked up some. Rupp appears to be made for, and to train for, championship racing.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Notice that Rupp did essentially what Kipchoge did in Rio. although Rupp waited longer as the pace had already been picked up some. Rupp appears to be made for, and to train for, championship racing.
    Since we haven't seen him in a paced marathon, we don't know how well he will handle that. I always thought he was better in a paced time trial on track, partly because he is not good at positioning himself. That's not a concern on the road. But he may still be better in a paced race.

After all, if Rio were the only race you saw, would you conclude Kipchoge was made for championship racing?