Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Impressive. But on whom were you performing the Root Canal?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    I have a theory that in the comfy seats in the dark at the movies might be the only time I totally relax and turn-off, thus my predicament. Anyone else?
    Blame your pineal gland. It gets the 'dark, relaxed' signals and interprets that as bed-time and produces the melatonin you can't resist. The older you get, the more susceptible your system is to the hormonal influence. Older people (not unlike myself) are more prone to napping and you just do it in the theater.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    i once (no, really!) fell asleep during a root canal. What's teh big deal? :-)
    I believe it. Kinda pisses me off when they do something that wakes me up.

4. Collapse Details

Trouble with movies has been identified here: so many are merely demonstrations of digital special effects using comic book super heroes. As mentioned already, you don't need to travel to the theater to see such stuff... if you've got Netflix or Amazon Prime and you don't need a theater if you have a big screen TV and sit close!
    Often, though, story lines are so predictable and redundant that we baby boomer codgers with delicate pineal glands are apt to doze off, so we do need to crank up the sound to dolby theater levels that way the constant parade of explosions and building collapses keep us awake.

5. Collapse Details

Exactly!

I thought the first Transformers movie was really good, but then the second and third ones degenerated into nothing but drawn-out "transforming" special effects scenes that were so special effect intense as to almost cause seizures.

6. Collapse Details

How about cheaper and more widely available air conditioning for a contributor? Supposedly in the old days, that was part of the draw to going to the movies in the summer.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    Simple.

Netflix
    Amazon
    Your Cable TV offerings being included in your monthly bill.

Also, stores that still sell VERY cheap DVD's---new & used!

Theaters---like bookstores & video rental outlets---will soon be extinct!!

All that---AND lousy movies!

LOL
    There are probably lots of reasons starting with lousy movies. Minimum wage is not helping. My son was an employee of Harkins until recently as a high school student. It costs to much to go to the movies for many people and they can simply get a better deal waiting for movies to go to DVD. It also does not help when some people are getting turned off by whiny movie personalities and their political discourses.

8. Collapse Details

What odelltrclan said.
    I will bet I am not the only crotchety old curmudgeon with a personal boycott list.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 09-11-2017 at 08:02 PM.

9. Collapse Details

It also does not help when some people are getting turned off by whiny movie personalities and their political discourses.
    :-)
    Generally, actors tend to be one of two types: Whiney or Oblivious
    Either way, they are not usually people you'd want to iisten to except when they are acting a part.

10. Collapse Details

How many reboots were there this summer? A couple of years ago, they thought it was a good idea to reboot The Fantastic Four, ten years after the first CGI-heavy premiere; and now it appears that the 2015 flop may have killed the F4 film franchise.