Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    why was it a bad summer for the movie industry?
    Administrator
    New York Times looks at those who blame Rotten Tomatoes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/b...smtyp=cur&_r=0

2. Collapse Details

Maybe they should just look at themselves for putting out shitty movies.

3. Collapse Details

Simple.

Netflix
    Amazon
    Your Cable TV offerings being included in your monthly bill.

Also, stores that still sell VERY cheap DVD's---new & used!

Theaters---like bookstores & video rental outlets---will soon be extinct!!

All that---AND lousy movies!

LOL

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
    Gotta agree with that. As home screens get bigger and bigger, the 'theater experience' will be obsolete.
    Might take 25 years, but we are heading steadily to the merging of theater/TV/internet-video into one piece of tech. Likewise phones/tablets/laptops (the portable versions of tech) will also merge into one piece of tech that projects the keyboard & monitor. The tech will still be the size of an iPhone, but the presentation will be as large as you want it.
    I'll be gone, but I would love to see it.

5. Collapse Details

To some degree, it is cyclical. They saw they could make a ton of money on comic book movies, so they made too many of them and many were mediocre or worse and flops. Supply and Demand. They need to move on to something else. Some more Dunkirks would be nice. And the animated movies have not been what they were a few years ago - even Pixar.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 09-10-2017 at 10:11 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronk View Post

Nothing worse than using your own personal experience and extrapolating it to an "industry standard," but I've been to more movies in the last year than the previous 5 years combined, maybe even more.

Why? Even though I've got a way-state-of-the-art home theater (I shan't include any bragging-rights stats here), the advent of the reserve-your-seat, leather-recliner, super-surround-sound rooms have rekindled my enjoyment for going out.

They're about to tear down my favorite multiplex that pioneered that concept in this area (the Google monolith marches on, gobbling up properties left & right!), but they're building a bigger and better one.

So from this corner, theaters seem to have countered the do-it-home threat with a model that'll continue to be successful. (Particularly when they have "restaurants" in the lobby and game rooms for the kids)

7. Collapse Details

It is a bit like the 1950s when television was a big threat to Hollywood so the latter brought in 3D and widescreen movies and "adult" comedies which are pretty mild by today's standards. Today, we have IMAX, special effects, nice seats, etc.

8. Collapse Details

I kinda like to go to the movies in comfort too as opposed to at home but my weekly movie outing has been disrupted lately by back to back kidney stones and cataract surgery...just as well , the movie industry has not been producing one movie per week I am willing to see. ..gonna try to see Wind River this week

9. Collapse Details

Ok, been meaning to post this for awhile, about my affliction and whether anyone else shares it. I love good movies and love seeing them at the theater, and I like a good stage show (i.e. a play or musical or such), but in the last four years or so, I have a very strong tendency to nod off halfway through. I have to fight sleep, and it's in the majority of movies and plays I've been to. Not a problem with Dunkirk nor Stomp, but it has been with quite a few other movies, with a good stage production of Man of la Mancha, with our local symphony's Carmina Burana. I'm not sleepy at all during the day, nor in the evening, etc. Don't think I have sleep apnea. Life is busy enough that I have a theory that in the comfy seats in the dark at the movies might be the only time I totally relax and turn-off, thus my predicament. Anyone else?
    PS I can fall asleep in the dentist's chair no problem.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    PS I can fall asleep in the dentist's chair no problem.
    i once (no, really!) fell asleep during a root canal. What's teh big deal? :-)