Facts, Not Fiction

1. Collapse Details
    1957 French Open Champion
    Happy birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who died at the age of 74.

Our birthday athlete was not born in Europe, North America, or Asia.

This champion won Olympic gold after placing 11th at the previous Olympic Games.

Born 89 years ago on a Tuesday, this athlete had three children.

You might know that our birthday champion was initially disqualified after winning the Olympic gold medal, but then reinstated for the gold medal.

Shirley Bloomer, a tennis player, was a very important part of our birthday athlete's life.

At the age of 28 our birthday person won the Olympic gold medal, but not on the same continent where this athlete was born.

Take these four numbers and rearrange them to get our birthday athlete's winning Olympic performance: 1248.

I can tell you that this champion did not win Olympic gold in any of the throwing events.

Who is our birthday person on this day of the solar eclipse?

2. Collapse Details

I've racked my brain on this one, 'cuz I know a lot about the meet in question, but even after looking up some results ( which is a DQ, I know that ) I am still stumped.

3. Collapse Details

I gave up and went to Wiki. Did not know the key fact here or anything about the dq.

4. Collapse Details

I could give a clue about a big event which happened two years prior to our birthday athlete's gold medal performance, but I won't.

5. Collapse Details

Christopher Brasher Steeple 8:42.1

6. Collapse Details

Yes! Brasher was at first disqualified for having interfered with Ernst Larsen of Norway. But Larsen said he had not been interfered with by Brasher. Larsen got Bronze and actually saved the Gold for Brasher.
    The Shirley Bloomer hint also gave it away but I saw this way too late.

7. Collapse Details

Chris Brasher it was. Very good EastBayprepoftheweek67. Brasher, of course, won the 1956 Olympic steeplechase and was married to Shirley Bloomer (tennis player). Good job, Per Andersen on the disqualification. You are correct about Ernst Larsen. You know Chris Brasher helped pace the famous sub-four minute mile in 1954 (Roger Bannister). I didn't mention that Brasher also help start the London Marathon after seeing the success of the New York City Marathon.

8. Collapse Details

Shirley Bloomer was a bit more than simply "tennis player" - won the 1957 French Open in both singles and doubles, and came back in 1958 and won the French mixed doubles. Of course, it wasn't actually the Open in those years.