Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    It's going to fall during the NFL season. I'm sure we'll have fine online streaming options, but probably mostly relegated to the more obscure TV stations like the Olympic Channel. Also during Premier League soccer for Europe.

*written while listening to the radio postgame show of the Seahawks first preseason game*

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    It's going to fall during the NFL season. I'm sure we'll have fine online streaming options, but probably mostly relegated to the more obscure TV stations like the Olympic Channel. Also during Premier League soccer for Europe.

*written while listening to the radio postgame show of the Seahawks first preseason game*
    NFL is only on Sunday afternoons and evenings. EPL on Saturday and Sunday afternoon U.K. time.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post
    The 2000 Olympics in Sydney saw track and field run from Sept 22 to Oct 1.

I don't recall the world coming to end as a result (I think that is what the Y2K hysteria was all about).
    It didn't, but the US only won 20 medals there (although 10 of them were golds).
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

4. Collapse Details

On German tv on Wednesday they rather showed a soccer game without a German team in it. On Sunday they showed a crime show rather than London, athletics was moved to an obscure minor channel and they only showed high jump and discus. All the track finals were shown later in the program as a rerun.
    And that was in August with no real soccer competition. Doha 2019 will probably be mostly streaming because German tv will rather show ANY soccer game than athletics. There will be Bundesliga, Champions League, international soccer.
    The problem once again is, the IAAF doesn't give a shit. They banked 30mio and they don't care if everyone else loses.

I just read an article in a German newspaper about the "brilliant" ideas Ed Warner has for the future of athletics. Ed Warner, the guy responsible for the 10 day schedule in London, wants world championships to be much shorter, maybe even reduce them to finals only. He also thinks people may be bored with current events, he actually mentioned the idea of 250 or 300m races instead of 400m because 400 might be too long...
    These are the people governing our sport, no wonder it's going down the drain.

5. Collapse Details

For the college athletes, it is so late that they would have time to go back to building a base and then peak again; depends on when the Trials/USATF meet is schedule for.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tm71 View Post
    NFL is only on Sunday afternoons and evenings. EPL on Saturday and Sunday afternoon U.K. time.
    the NFL has had Monday night games for decades, of course, and now has games on Thursday night as well.

7. Collapse Details

A look at the globalization of the NFL

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/h...-on-a-tuesday/
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    the NFL has had Monday night games for decades, of course, and now has games on Thursday night as well.
    And Friday night is high school football night and Saturday is the college football day. So we are up against American football in the USA from Thursday through Monday.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    And Friday night is high school football night and Saturday is the college football day. So we are up against American football in the USA from Thursday through Monday.
    Yup... NFL Thu, HS Fri, College Sat (and I think some Thursdays and Fridays as well), NFL Sun, and NFL Mon. It will be impossible to get mainstream TV coverage on Saturday and Sunday, best bet might be the Olympic Channel, and there will be very little coverage given by the mainstream sports media, even on off days.

It's not _just_ an issue of TV time, it's getting anyone outside the hardcore track bubble to talk about the meet. And even within the hardcore track bubble, Doha is a less appealing destination for Americans, you will have less fans and journalists from here willing to make the trip.

As a female, traveling to Doha is not appealing at all, on many levels.

The meet may have better luck getting coverage in Europe compared to the US, but I suspect the mainstream sports media there will likewise be spending a lot of energy talking about their football and will have less bandwidth available for athletics coverage compared to the August dates.

Coverage issues aside, there was such a fantastic atmosphere in London with the stadium nearly full for almost every event. There is no chance Doha will come anywhere near that kind of attendance, even if they do try to give away free tickets to all of the borderline slave laborers in the area.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower
    Yup... NFL Thu, HS Fri, College Sat (and I think some Thursdays and Fridays as well), NFL Sun, and NFL Mon...

As a female, traveling to Doha is not appealing at all, on many levels.
    ESPN has some college games even on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I am a male and have no desire to travel to Doha either .
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley