Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    2019 Doha World Championships
    Some interesting points in the Abraham article linked on front page.

I didn't realize that it will be September 28 to October 6. That will be 'interesting' for US athletes, most of whom run in the April-June time frame.

The question is - do we have USATF in its usual June spot, giving team members more time to re-peak (or get completely out of shape), or do we do the 'smart' thing and wait till mid-to late-August. That would put the collegians in a strange place. They'd already be getting ready to go back to school.

Will the DL calendar stay as it is, but wrap up in late August with Zurich and Brussels 3-4 weeks before the WC?

Should the USA try to host more top-level meets in July?

As Abraham says, this is the perfect time for the IAAF and USATF to re-think the calendar and how to stage meets.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post

I didn't realize that it will be September 28 to October 6. That will be 'interesting' for US athletes, most of whom run in the April-June time frame.

The question is - do we have USATF in its usual June spot, giving team members more time to re-peak (or get completely out of shape), or do we do the 'smart' thing and wait till mid-to late-August. That would put the collegians in a strange place. They'd already be getting ready to go back to school. ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_...ored_terrorism

Will the DL calendar stay as it is, but wrap up in late August with Zurich and Brussels 3-4 weeks before the WC?

As Abraham says, this is the perfect time for the IAAF and USATF to re-think the calendar and how to stage meets.
    someone had also look in to the fact that Qatar is on more than one country's shit list...I think I read something about some are accusing them of supporting terrorists. Correct me please if I am wrong but I think I read this.

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post

The question is - do we have USATF in its usual June spot, giving team members more time to re-peak (or get completely out of shape), or do we do the 'smart' thing and wait till mid-to late-August. That would put the collegians in a strange place. They'd already be getting ready to go back to school.

Late September to early October ? Good luck finding many athletes wanting to go period whether collegiates or pros! That is the time most athletes take a few weeks off before starting to prepare for next season. And that next season is the Olympic season. I do recall the 85 World Cup in Australia being in October but that was in the era of worlds every four years and no diamond league.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    see my column from January of 2015

https://www.trackandfieldnews.com/im...itor-jan15.pdf

6. Collapse Details

The 2000 Olympics in Sydney saw track and field run from Sept 22 to Oct 1.

I don't recall the world coming to end as a result (I think that is what the Y2K hysteria was all about).

And, yes, 1985 World Cup in Canberra was Oct 4-6.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post

I don't recall the world coming to end as a result (I think that is what the Y2K hysteria was all about).
    But that was the Olympics. People will turn their lives upside down to compete in the Olympics.

World Championships is not so compelling, and many collegians will skip it if it intrudes into their fall semester.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    World Championships is not so compelling, and many collegians will skip it if it intrudes into their fall semester.
    Which would have zero effect on most events... how many events actually had collegians in the final (remembering also that many of the underperformers in the US squad are those have hung on too long from college season - replacing them with folks with less races in their legs might boost US outcomes (to an even higher level))?

9. Collapse Details

Which would have zero effect on most events... how many events actually had collegians in the final (remembering also that many of the underperformers in the US squad are those have hung on too long from college season - replacing them with folks with less races in their legs might boost US outcomes (to an even higher level))?
    That's assuming the non collegian is of the same ability of the collegian. At best it's break even. Fred Kerley and Wil London not being on the 400m team puts two guys who aren't making the final as an example.

10. Collapse Details

It didn't, but the US only won 20 medals there (although 10 of them were golds).
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...