Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by odelltrclan View Post
    This whole line of reasoning in a bit comical for me. Some of the same people who are making fun of the flat earthers are the same people lampooning those who question those that don't accept what is between their legs.
    Im going to read that over and over and over again until I dont understand it again and again and again.

2. Collapse Details

Schizotypal Personality Disorder (SPTD). It's a real thing and deserves our sympathy, not our dismissal.
    People who are ill deserve sympathetic care. Of course that does not include embracing delusional thoughts.

3. Collapse Details

When I was in high school physics, our teacher once asked us to "prove" that the earth was round. His purpose was to stimulate thinking, and to remind us that many things we'd just accepted as being "true" might not always be.
    Anyway, our feeble attempts to prove what we'd always accepted as being true fell short, and the teacher shot down our proofs pretty easily!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    When I was in high school physics, our teacher once asked us to "prove" that the earth was round. His purpose was to stimulate thinking, and to remind us that many things we'd just accepted as being "true" might not always be.
    Anyway, our feeble attempts to prove what we'd always accepted as being true fell short, and the teacher shot down our proofs pretty easily!
    "Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them" Obi-wan Kenobi.

Actually, a quick proof. In 1983 I was living in Newport Rhode Island at the time when the Americans lost the America's cup for the first time. You could watch the races from the shore a bit, even though the boats were miles away. Even with good binoculars, however (and you could see quite well with them) you could only see a portion the masts on the ship. The earth's curvature blocked the lower portion. If you moved up a couple of stories, you could see the whole ship. Pretty simple lesson in understanding and seeing the earth's curvature.

5. Collapse Details

Yes, curvature of the earth's surface is very easily proved if you live near the ocean.

Still, ya gotta wonder how flat-earthers DO visualize the world? How does one explain the gradual bottom to top disappearance of ships on horizon? Maybe to skeptic this does not prove that the curve extends far enough to bend back on itself.

But how does traveling due west for 24 thousand plus miles will bring an airplane back to the same place? Or how daylight is distributed across the plane of the earth's surface? If it ain't a globe, what do these folks believe is a rational explanation for the many, many anomalies that flat-earth belief presents?

And, then again, I know... everything that does not match the initial hypothesis consists is faked somehow.

I've got family member who is convinced that she is infected with nano-robots (Morgellon's Disease) that crawl under her skin and push microscopic, non-organic fibers up throw her pores. She self-diagnosed based on listening to Alex Jones podcasts!!!

Where is Matt Marriott when you need him?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    People who are ill deserve sympathetic care. Of course that does not include embracing delusional thoughts.
    ??!!
    Schizophrenics have all sorts of delusions and no rational person makes fun of them for that. My point was that many (most?) people who say really stupid things have neural problems that impair their cognition significantly. It's not just a matter of ignorance or na´vetÚ.

7. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    "Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them" Obi-wan Kenobi.

Actually, a quick proof. In 1983 I was living in Newport Rhode Island at the time when the Americans lost the America's cup for the first time. You could watch the races from the shore a bit, even though the boats were miles away. Even with good binoculars, however (and you could see quite well with them) you could only see a portion the masts on the ship. The earth's curvature blocked the lower portion. If you moved up a couple of stories, you could see the whole ship. Pretty simple lesson in understanding and seeing the earth's curvature.
    Thanks !!.. I was always looking for a proof that light would curve in a hyperbola away from a large mass like the flat Earth.

8. Collapse Details

This whole line of reasoning in a bit comical for me. Some of the same people who are making fun of the flat earthers are the same people lampooning those who question those that don't accept what is between their legs.
    I'l join user4 in admitting that is too cryptic for me..

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I'l join user4 in admitting that is too cryptic for me..
    I may have completely misconstrued it, but I assumed it was a reference to Semenya, who has nothing between her legs, but many here (me too) say she shouldn't be allowed to race as a woman.

10. Collapse Details

I got that..I don't think Semenya should compete as a woman either.. but still can't deconstruct that sentence.. doesn't matter but does make me a lampooner or lampooned?