Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

The late Geoff Hollister, Nike Employee No. 3, wrote in his 2008 memoir "Out of Nowhere" that Henry Rono set Nike's first WR with his 5000 in Berkeley in April 1978 (page 142). Geoff certainly was in a position to know.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    Up till 1974 my recollection was that in my 4 years most of us wear wearing adidas. I think Art Simburg was the John Chaplin clone for shoe reps.

Edit: I hope my memory is correct re Art and I got the right German brand
    Simburg (who for a while was married to Wyomia Tyus) was a Puma guy.

3. Collapse Details

Charley, You are correct in that Geoff wrote Henry a contract paying Henry $30K for each world record. But my question is why if Henry was the first, second and third person to set records in nike product they never put Henry in prominence such as Pre or others who never set world records.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
    Charley, You are correct in that Geoff wrote Henry a contract paying Henry $30K for each world record. But my question is why if Henry was the first, second and third person to set records in nike product they never put Henry in prominence such as Pre or others who never set world records.
    Rono could have set a record every week and he wouldn't have been featured as much as Pre. If you don't understand this you probably weren't around at the time.

5. Collapse Details

I understand that Pre ran most all his life in adidas. He only wore nike for the last year of his life. For those of us who were there at the time, we know nike built on Pre's fame, not on his use of adidas most of this life.

6. Collapse Details

Read Henry's book "Olympic Dream" (2007), and you'll find that he felt that he deserved better treatment from his sponsor. Don't forget that sponsorship at that time wasn't yet quite above-board, especially since he was still competing in the NCAA when he set his first 4 WRs.

Nike did release a large poster of Henry; I have an original one in my cellar.
    http://oldposter.sneakerlab.net/wp-c...20141221-4.png

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Did our track shoes have brand names in the 40s and 50s? The were just black leather shells with thick leather soles and no internal support. The canvas flats were even flatter.
    Ridddell comes to mind, maybe Rawlings too, and there was some variety, mostly kangaroo leather.

My first Adidas were from Carlson Imports in NYC, 1955, super light with 6 fixed spikes in a rubber sole--an advance over the leather used for removable spikes.
    Male Whitfield was my model, with his custom whites. Mine were blue, main color then available. Tennessee soon got orange ones.

A cool but sad aside: I loaned my indoor Adidas, even more rare, to CalPoly/SLO 440 runner Vic Hall, who perished along with the entire SLO football team in 1960, soon after that first LA Coliseum Indoor Classic.
    Last edited by Jackaloupe; 07-10-2017 at 05:46 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
    Charley, You are correct in that Geoff wrote Henry a contract paying Henry $30K for each world record.
    I would think that with inflation and such that $30,000 is like $100,000 today.
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

9. Collapse Details

Re: Art Simburg

https://theolympians.co/tag/art-simburg/

"Track groupie, Art Simburg, buddies to the Speed City sprinters of San Jose State College, Tommie Smith and John Carlos, was also a sweet-talking marketer for Puma. Simburg was able to “convince” many athletes to switch to Pumas in Mexico City, including Beamon.

So when Beamon made the long jump finals, prior to that massive jump, he did so in Pumas.

But in a switch that was becoming less and less uncommon, Beamon slipped on a pair of adidas shoes, and launched himself into the history books with a record leap that stood for 23 years. And the shoes that shine in all of those pictures of Beamon’s gigantic jump – the one with the three red stripes of adidas."

In later years, Simburg was sentenced to 9 years in federal prison, having been found guilty in connection with a Ponzi-scheme that defrauded more than 500 investors out of more than $32 million.

https://www.justice.gov/archive/usao...r2009/044.html

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wineturtle View Post
    I would think that with inflation and such that $30,000 is like $100,000 today.
    $112,607.21 according to this site: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/