Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
    I understand that Pre ran most all his life in adidas. He only wore nike for the last year of his life. For those of us who were there at the time, we know nike built on Pre's fame, not on his use of adidas most of this life.
    Prefontaine apparently switched to Nikes late in the spring of 1973. Look online an you can find a photo of Pre after his race against John Ngeno on Apr. 14, 1973, and Pre's in adidas. But in the Pac-8 meet the next month, Pre's in Nikes, as he is in photos of the AAU 3-mile that year.

2. Collapse Details
    Track and Field Business
    We have been led to believe so much bs when it comes to the business of our sport. I realize nike is the big shoe of the past twenty years and before that it was adidas for the prior thirty years. They both invested a lot and got alot. But some of the bs I am thinking in my old age is that there are some major facts on these two companies that is not spoken of. Adidas had Pre in shoes from high school till after the Munich Olympics. Hundreds of races folks, so many that nike only has a few races of him in their product! Do any of you know that Bill Dillenger was also in with adidas not just as an athlete but most of his coaching career at Oregon. He even received residuals from an adidas shoe that he was involved with producing while he coached at Oregon.
    I wrote last week that I feel it is very wrong that nike does not honor the athlete who set the first, second and third world records ever by a nike athlete. He was paid a pitance compared to the next (4th&5th) world record holders wearing nike, that being Ovett and Coe. Todays comments on the current Kenyan leader at Oregon and nike is not being helped by nike to get his citizenship. Why, we all know that nike could handle this so easily. Not all business is fake news, but some of it is.

3. Collapse Details

Don't let a few facts get in your way. The company did not even begin to use Nike until about 1971, and they sold the Japanese brand Tiger (Onitsuka) until that relationship ended in 71, and they started with their own shoes. Since Pre was born in January 1951 and started at Oregon in 1969 he did not even run in Nike's until half way through college, although he was probably running in the prototypes, which Bowerman made for the runners on his team somewhat before that.

So, your first two posts have shown a decided negative streak combined with a lack of fidelity to history. That is not going to win people by your argument on this Board because they know T&F history very well.

4. Collapse Details

Matt Marriott Jr.

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    The Puma thread led to this....which leads to the question we have discussed before the first track athlete to wear Nike spikes...the Nike Athletic Department store in downtown Eugene in the 70s had a display case with the first Nike spikes made...for Craig Virgin and his 1973 2 mile record in June 1973...but in May 1973 Pre is racing the Pac 8 3 mile in Nikes...

Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-24-2019 at 11:12 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    The Puma thread led to this....which leads to the question we have discussed before the first track athlete to wear Nike spikes...the Nike Athletic Department store in downtown Eugene in the 70s had a display case with the first Nike spikes made...for Craig Virgin and his 1973 2 mile record in June 1973...but in May 1973 Pre is racing the Pac 8 3 mile in Nikes...

My old mate John Ngeno.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I detect some bias there
    What an outrageous slur, bambam

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Simburg (who for a while was married to Wyomia Tyus) was a Puma guy.
    Oops, on set of dementia I fear. I guess then, that Mike Larrabee was the Adidas guy.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    yes, Mike was a longtime adidas rep

10. Collapse Details

Since there is not a rail or cones on the turn, should Virgin`s 8:40,9 2 mile (shown in picture above at the IPI meet in Mount Prospect, IL) still be listed on the high school all time list?