Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Lausanne DL

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Lausanne DL
    The meet is 4 days out, but the start lists are already up. Some notable match ups in the Womens Long Jump, Mens Triple Jump, Womens 400H, Womens 200, Womens 800 and Mens 400, among others.

I specifically am looking at the 400 match up between Merritt and and Van Niekerk. But wondering where Kirani James has been? His best this year is 45.44 from April but has he run since then?

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    not to split hairs too finely, but what are up are the entry lists. Actual start lists (with lanes, jumping order, etc.) never go up until the day before the meet.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    I specifically am looking at the 400 match up between Merritt and and Van Niekerk. But wondering where Kirani James has been?
    I hope I'm wrong, but is it cynical of me to think they know they can't beat VNK, so why try? If either gets below 44, I'll really be surprised. Maybe the stage of the London WC willl bring out the fighting spirit in them.

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I hope I'm wrong, but is it cynical of me to think they know they can't beat VNK, so why try? If either gets below 44, I'll really be surprised. Maybe the stage of the London WC willl bring out the fighting spirit in them.
    Exactly what I was thinking, the elf VNK now dwarfs all the great sub44 400m men of the last 18 years. What happen in Rio has to have effected them. That leaves Fred Kerley. I suspect he will have the confidence to give it all he has.
    Last edited by user4; 07-03-2017 at 03:02 AM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post

I specifically am looking at the 400 match up between Merritt and and Van Niekerk. But wondering where Kirani James has been? His best this year is 45.44 from April but has he run since then?
    Merritt is not listed; there are only six on the entry list.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

6. Collapse Details

Merritt was on the list earlier today. But has since been removed.

7. Collapse Details

Seeing that some athletes are running at the Gyulai Memorial before Lausanne is there sufficient time for them to recover properly (possibly taking jet lag into consideration?)

Also, anyone believes Jefferson has what it takes to upset Dafne?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donraoul View Post
    Seeing that some athletes are running at the Gyulai Memorial before Lausanne is there sufficient time for them to recover properly (possibly taking jet lag into consideration?)

Also, anyone believes Jefferson has what it takes to upset Dafne?
    Hungary Switzerland is less than 2 hours (flight). I don't they will suffer from jet leg. They may be tired in general though, from the whole check-in, hanging around, getting luggage, etc.

This is where I want to see some improvement in Schipper's times (or at least some indication she has improved, if conditions are poor).

With 5 weeks till London, she has had the same number of races over both 100 and 200 as she did last year 5 weeks before Rio (even though there is an impression that she raced more last year - probably because of her indoor races). However, she is around 0.12 down on her 100m time at this point, and 0.3 down on her 200m time. And, more importantly, her fastest races appear to be her opening runs in April; there has been no progression.

The flip side to that is, in 2016 she ran numerous sub 22s, yet didn't really get any better in Rio. She did get that groin injury during holding camp, so maybe that was it. So maybe this season, she will peak better?

I would like to see at least a 22.2, preferably a 22.1 in her next race, if we are going to see a solid sub 22 in London. And a sub 11 in the 100m.

Interestingly, some other Rana Reider athletes haven't been doing well - Gemili was poor (and then injured) at the UK trials; Desiree Henry gambled & only ran the 200, was leading into the straight (despite what the IAAF report says) and went backwards in the last 50m and was outside 23 secs & Shara Proctor has been very mediocre. Bartoletta has been in great jumping form but not her best over 100m. So, is this an issue with the training Reider is putting them through? He has blitzed Schippers with the weight training, and I don't think this is a good thing. I guess we shall soon see.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Merritt is not listed; there are only six on the entry list.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    As noted, Merritt was listed,but no longer is. Looks like Makwala is now in the race.

10. Collapse Details

Looks like the final start lists are now up. Note, in addition to Merritt, now Bowie and Manangoi are no longer competing, possibly among others.