Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Powell is clearly referring to consistency. He popped 19.3 once. It was an outlier.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    And he wasn't really a 19.32 sprinter, either.
    Nor a 43.18 400 guy, and of course he could not possibly double the 200/400 even though it has been done so many times before... geesh

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by kellits2gnv View Post
    Powell is clearly referring to consistency. He popped 19.3 once. It was an outlier.
    Yes, but he: 1) did not have a lot of competition pushing him anywhere near 19.6 for virtually all of his career but had two very hard events and it was hard to do both through the rounds and then pound something. And is Bolt a two-shot wonder? The real one-shot wonder is the Beast, but he had his injury issues also.

4. Collapse Details

That could be said about everyone. Bolt popped 19.19 once. Outlier! 9.58? Only once!
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    That could be said about everyone. Bolt popped 19.19 once. Outlier! 9.58? Only once!
    MJ's 5 best (excluding a 19.71A with near max wind 1.8)

Strictly (statistically) speaking, there's no outlier in that data set, so far as I can see after my quicky online lesson in determining outliers.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Nor a 43.18 400 guy, and of course he could not possibly double the 200/400 even though it has been done so many times before... geesh
    I though we had long ago concluded that the Atlanta track was illegally fast/hard, or something like that.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Merner521 View Post
    I though we had long ago concluded that the Atlanta track was illegally fast/hard, or something like that.
    Perec and Ottey didn't get personal bests in the 200. Ottey wasn't remotely close.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Merner521 View Post
    And where was second/third.

9. Collapse Details

MJ's 19.32 was legit, but can he be called a 19.3 guy? I would take the average of his five fastest 200M and call him a 19.7 or 19.6 high guy. (edited)
    Last edited by ClaudeAnthony; 06-22-2017 at 07:44 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Without the "outlier" performance, there would be no World Records! That's exactly what makes a WR a WR. MJ is just as much a 19.32 guy as Bolt is a 9.58/19.19 guy, WVN is a 43.03 guy, etc...

Besides, several other factors work against your argument. MJ was injured in '97 during that disaster of a match with Bailey. It is quite probably that he could have equalled or bettered his Atlanta performance at the '97 WCs had he been healthy. Second, he effectively switched his training focus to the 400m afterward, so that probably impacted his 200.