Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    We had a thread on this once. The only place I could possibly see promotion/relegation is college football. But even there it would be impossible for everyone to agree.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Relegation is brutal. OTOH promotion is always around the corner.

But the manager isn't often fired. Sometimes they just quit. Not sure Sunderland has that many good players anyone else wants. The irony here is that Sunderland fans were gloating when their Geordie rivals Newcastle were relegated last year.

Now Newcastle has been promoted back up and it's Sunderland going down.
    To "hijack" the thread briefly. I liked the George Gently TV series. Did it at least somewhat accurately show life in Geordie country in the late 50s and 60s? Also liked the Geordie character in Grantchester.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catson52 View Post
    To "hijack" the thread briefly. I liked the George Gently TV series. Did it at least somewhat accurately show life in Geordie country in the late 50s and 60s? Also liked the Geordie character in Grantchester.
    A great series with Martin Shaw in the lead.

I don't know the North East very well. Though I went to Newcastle a couple of times. I don't remember any glaring anachronisms in the show. The Brits try, IMO, to get things right especially with accents. Unless it deals with American characters then they don't give a toss. The dumber and more clueless the better.

The best mystery show for getting period detail right was probably Foyle's War with Michael Kitchen.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-01-2017 at 07:22 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    where would you find a football team to promote to the NFL?
    I started to say that there is nothing sacrosanct about the number of teams. it would be easy enough to simply demote the laggards.

Then I realized there is likely a list of applicants for expansion. if a franchise is ruled to be non competitive, then they could be disenfranchised and the next applicant on the list could be promoted.

It would certainly force a certain level of attention among the owners.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I started to say that there is nothing sacrosanct about the number of teams. it would be easy enough to simply demote the laggards.

Then I realized there is likely a list of applicants for expansion. if a franchise is ruled to be non competitive, then they could be disenfranchised and the next applicant on the list could be promoted.

It would certainly force a certain level of attention among the owners.

Yes relegation in the NFL....But it's the cities that are relegated when they don't pony up the cash for new stadiums for the billionaire owners. Oakland is the latest to be relegated out of the league with Las Vegas being promoted.

6. Collapse Details

Yes relegation in the NFL....But it's the cities that are relegated when they don't pony up the cash for new stadiums for the billionaire owners. Oakland is the latest to be relegated out of the league with Las Vegas being promoted.
    Like so many things in the US, the public is asked to absorb the risk of a business venture while the profits all remain private.

7. Collapse Details

A great series with Martin Shaw in the lead.

I don't know the North East very well. Though I went to Newcastle a couple of times. I don't remember any glaring anachronisms in the show. The Brits try, IMO, to get things right especially with accents. Unless it deals with American characters then they don't give a toss. The dumber and more clueless the better.

The best mystery show for getting period detail right was probably Foyle's War with Michael Kitchen.
    Thanks for the comments. It was Foyle's War that hooked me onto recent (i.e. no AC Doyle) Brit mystery/crime series. As with the (Brit) Wallander series, it did not always paint the locals (and their actions/motives) in the best of light.

8. Collapse Details

Speaking of Relegation I was at this game in Hereford 20 years ago yesterday. One of most famous in English football. First time ever that on the last day two sides would decide who would drop of the Football League.

The riot police and dogs to stop the Hereford supporters from attacking Brighton fans is not something you see often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=3b_HYBlq1EE

Hereford United 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion, Division Three, 3 May 1997

"I've never experienced anything like this," said Hereford's manager, Graham Turner. "There's an awful lot at stake," understated Brighton's manager, Steve Gritt, keeping it admirably low-key. This was anything but low-key though. When fans of Brighton and Hereford woke up on 3 May 1997, they knew that by the end of the day, one of their sides would no longer be in the Football League. Relegation from Division Three beckoned and what was effectively a relegation play-off between the two sides at Edgar Street on the final day would settle the matter.

For Brighton, this had been the most trying of seasons. Faced with spiralling debts, their fans were aghast at the board's plans to sell off their beloved stadium, the Goldstone Ground, in order to make some cash. A pitch invasion in protest against the sale at the end of the previous season, in which Brighton were relegated from Division Two, earned them a two-point deduction from the Football Association. This was a depressing time to be a Brighton fan.

For much of the season, Brighton couldn't stop losing, although their plight was alleviated by Hereford going from 26 October 1996 to 25 January 1997 without a win.

It all came to a head on the final day. Hereford came into the match on the back of two draws and a defeat while Brighton had won twice and drawn once. The sides were level on 46 points coming into the match but Brighton were ahead on goal difference. They only needed a draw.

However it looked like it was going to be Hereford's day when Tony Agana's persistence led to Kerry Mayo turning the ball into his own net after 21 minutes. On a difficult pitch, Hereford were dominant. But Brighton fought back and when Craig Maskell's 25-yard volley hit the post after 62 minutes, everyone inside the stadium held their breath Robbie Reinelt reached the loose ball first and tucked home the vital equaliser. Brighton held on. Hereford were down.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-04-2017 at 04:47 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Here's a thought that might grab your attention: When was the last time a Premier League team was relegated in back-to-back years; that is, demoted from the Premier to the Championship League, and then the next year demoted to League One?

If it has never happened before, it looks as if it could very well happen to Sunderland...

22 Sunderland 19 2 8 9 25 35 −10 14
    23 Burton Albion 19 3 5 11 12 37 −25 14
    24 Bolton Wanderers 19 2 7 10 16 36 −20 13

You would think that a team that was in the Premier League 10 straight years would fight like hell to get back there. Who did they lose on their roster (after relegation) to fall this fast so early?

10. Collapse Details

In the 70s, when the highest division was the 1st division, Huddersfield was relegated from 1st to 2nd in 1972, from 2nd to 3rd in 1973, and from 3rd to 4th in 1975.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...A.F.C._seasons