Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sunderland relegated in back-to-back years
    I woke up just in time to catch this bit of news unfolding, as Sunderland tried desperately to avoid demotion at the hand of Bournemouth, who if I'm not mistaken was recently promoted themselves.

Unfortunately they lost at home, 0-1. They say Sunderland was in the big league 10 years straight, but they also say this is their 4th relegation, and they have been trying for at least 4 years to avoid being busted down, but this time the sands of time ran out on them.

In what years did Sunderland bounce up and down the leagues before this 10-year stretch in the Premier? And what happens to the players and their salaries, now that they've been demoted? I assume the manager is gone, but what are the chances that the Premier League teams will try and steal Sunderland's best player?
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 05-08-2018 at 07:24 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Speaking of relegation or demotion, too bad we don't have this in the U.S. I wish our team sports would write in their by-laws a clause mandating that a team that has been so bad for too long (10 years of abject futility is long enough) must be sold or face expulsion from the league until the owner sells.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    where would you find a football team to promote to the NFL?

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    I woke up just in time to catch this bit of news unfolding, as Sunderland tried desperately to avoid demotion at the hand of Bournemouth, who if I'm not mistaken was recently promoted themselves.

Unfortunately they lost at home, 0-1. They say Sunderland was in the big league 10 years straight, but they also say this is their 4th relegation, and they have been trying for at least 4 years to avoid being busted down, but this time the sands of time ran out on them.

In what years did Sunderland bounce up and down the leagues before this 10-year stretch in the Premier? And what happens to the players and their salaries, now that they've been demoted? I assume the manager is gone, but what are the chances that the Premier League teams will try and steal Sunderland's best player?
    Relegation is brutal. OTOH promotion is always around the corner.

But the manager isn't often fired. Sometimes they just quit. Not sure Sunderland has that many good players anyone else wants. The irony here is that Sunderland fans were gloating when their Geordie rivals Newcastle were relegated last year.

Now Newcastle has been promoted back up and it's Sunderland going down.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    That's exactly why I mentioned the idea of forcing owners to sell teams if they reach a point where they have become bad just for the hell of it. Since we don't have multiple levels in each of the pro leagues, where promotion and demotion exists, it falls on forcing bad owners to give up their teams if such an owner or his team starts to get way too comfortable spitting out atrocious records year after year after year.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 04-30-2017 at 12:28 AM.

6. Collapse Details

In the NFL there are self-correcting factors: 1) the inverted draft that is worth a lot since the rights are more valuable than the cost of the players; 2) the schedule shifts the difficulty for the teams that finish highest; and 3) the salary-cap rules prevent the teams in the lucrative markets (LA, NY, ...) from dominating the league by spending huge amounts of money. Especially in places like Spain, the few really rich teams have a huge advantage in talent and it makes the games less interesting and the leagues less interesting to me; I just cannot get excited about the leagues because of this structure, although where there are a number of good teams it is not as affected.

7. Collapse Details

By being relegated they lose a lot of (I believe) television money. CookeyMontsa, you are correct that a number of their better players will be sold off to teams on the EPL Now if the better player is a lower priced player this might not necessarily be the case. Sunderland will have to jettison some of their more expansive players simply because their revenue will be less. Now with all the outside money investing in English football Sunderland might become a target for some investment group with deep pockets. Teams in bigger markets and with bigger stadiums probably are more attractive to oil chiefs and olagarks. It wasn't so long ago that Manchester City was in the Championship Division and not in the EPL.

True, it often is "the usual suspects." Leicester was the rarity last year, and Tottenham seems to have broken in and may remain a fixture in the top four. The best feature of English football is that there is so much to fight for. At the top is the fight to be the champion. Then its to make the Champions League. Then its to make the Europa League. Then there is the FA Cup and the League Cup. And finally, at the bottom, there is the fight to avoid relegation, or the fight be promoted from the Championship to the EPL, and the 1st Division to the Championship, and so forth. So it sucks that the "big" clubs seem to always be the same, except when someone else breaks through. Because of their structure, virtually every game has meaning,

8. Collapse Details

Oligarchs (sic.)

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Bring back the XFL

10. Collapse Details

It would be more likely to have the soccer league structure in sports where the squads are smaller in size, such as basketball, rather than in football (not that I believe that its likely to happen). My impression is that the soccer model developed from the bottom up, with small local clubs coalescing into "larger" leagues, particularly as transportation developed. Didn't the U.K. have the world's best railroad network in the early part of the last century? Maybe it could have happened with baseball in as late as the mid-20th century with so many levels of play, but only if the teams has been independent, and not feeder teams for the big leagues. Of course football's main feeder leagues are the colleges. "Independent" yes, but not structured in the same world. The socio-economic framework for the European soccer model seems not to be on the American landscape.