Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Tom Fleming RIP

1. Collapse Details
    Tom Fleming RIP
    http://www.dailyfreeman.com/sports/2...ool-track-meet

marathoner Tom Fleming RIP

2-time NYC Marathon champ Tom Fleming dies while coaching middle school track meet
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

2. Collapse Details

A good guy who will be missed. I believe he held the AR for the 20,000m on the track.

3. Collapse Details

Tom was involved early on in the open professionalism movement. Worked on moving prize money and promotional fees out of the hush of the back room and making it easier to continue running after college.

Tom Fleming was a stand up guy in every facet of his life.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/21/s...ef=sports&_r=0
    Last edited by wineturtle; 04-22-2017 at 06:12 PM.
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

4. Collapse Details

According to a press report, he actually held American records at five distances from 15 miles to 50K. I guess The 20k I thought I remembered was actually 25K.

In 1980, while the prize money against amateur rules given at the Cascade Runoff in Oregon got most of the press, a marathon in Atlantic City also gave prize money which Tom accepted. USATF (then TAC/USA) had barely formed but my very first assignment for NJ-TAC was to serve on the local hearing panel about the prize money and we kicked the matter upstairs after documenting it.

A few months later, TAC convinced the IAAF to allow prize money as long as it went into trust funds. Tom was quickly reinstated and did clinics for NJ-TAC thereafter.

5. Collapse Details

I am sure some of you reading here knew him, and so my condolences to all. I never knew him, nor did I know much about him, other than the name being familiar in US race results from the 70s & 80s. Among the things I did not know were these: He was US ranked (highly) in the marathon several years in the 1970s: 1973 (4th), 1974 (2nd), 1975 (3rd), 1976 (4th), 1977 (3rd). Also, 1979 (10th). Had I been asked to name the top several US men's marathoners of that formative period, I doubt I would have come up with Fleming's name, but for those 5 years, he was around the top 3. I looked on the ARRS database, and quickly counted 43 marathons (1970-1986), and among those 19 @ sub-2:20. Among the other 24, most of those were in the lower half of the 2:20s. So, lots of quality efforts at that distance. I know he did lots of other things on and off the track and roads, and XC courses; and as a fellow teacher I have great regard for his efforts there, but I just glanced at these marathons to educate myself and highlight a few things, in respect for him.

6. Collapse Details

Yeah, Fleming was at that next level among US distance runners in the 1970s, after Shorter and Rodgers. I never met him either, but since I'm from Boston and he ran a lot up there, heard a lot about him.

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Yeah, Fleming was at that next level among US distance runners in the 1970s, after Shorter and Rodgers. I never met him either, but since I'm from Boston and he ran a lot up there, heard a lot about him.
    That's accurate. Shorter and Rodgers and later Salazar were major sports stars. Fleming was definitely one of several that could have made the 1976 team after those two.

The Times article describes his big mileage in the 70s. That was fairly common in those days. And remember the shoes were pretty basic like Tiger Marathons. But it was all so much fun. Unlike today where so many only run marathons so they can post it on Facebook.

8. Collapse Details
    RIP Tom Fleming 1951-2017, Won NYC 1973 & 1975
    Just saw this on LetsRun

Iconic runner from the 1970s (and later).

9. Collapse Details

The five American records that he held were at 15 miles, 20 miles, 25k, 30k, and 50k. Since that time, the 15 miles and 20 miles were dropped from the USATF rule book as record distances.