Facts, Not Fiction

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Duncan View Post
    The only thing which I missed was the women's SP. Somehow, that didn't make the cut.
    The women's SP was on a separate NBC Gold channel before the main coverage started. I saw the entire event and then switched over to the channel that had the track events.

2. Collapse Details

I think the replays for the HJ, Jav and SP are on separate replays on NBC Gold. Take a look.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    For each throw, they showed the throw, then a replay of the same shot, then a replay from behind the circle, so you saw how they finished up. In the left-hand corner was a neat little graphic showing (at first) the throwing order, with the current throwers name popping forward. As soon as somebody got a fair throw, the order switched to placing. After the first round was over, a new window would pop up on the right side, showing the current thrower's series so far. This is a BIG IMPROVEMENT over beIN, NBC or any other broadcast I've seen.
    I can see how this is improvement, although I don't think the "international feed" (or whatever it is called) we had on BeIn or Universal Sports was hard to follow.

The biggest problem I have with this new graphic is their fonts are too small. Maybe this is a subtle message that I should get a bigger TV screen, but I can hardly read the names and numbers from a normal distance.

4. Collapse Details

The small type was really a problem, especially watching it on a 'normal' TV (high-quality Sony from 20 years ago that might still work in another 20 years).

5. Collapse Details

I thought the coverage of Doha was fine, i LOVED the absence of commercials. My only beef with NBC Gold is that it's not available on Roku so I have to watch it on my desktop at work or my iPad at home, instead of on my nice-sized tv. Still wondering if there is a cable to convert my iPad to HDMI that works with encrypted proprietary content.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by billychuck View Post
    I thought the coverage of Doha was fine, i LOVED the absence of commercials. My only beef with NBC Gold is that it's not available on Roku so I have to watch it on my desktop at work or my iPad at home, instead of on my nice-sized tv. Still wondering if there is a cable to convert my iPad to HDMI that works with encrypted proprietary content.
    Why not go from your PC to your TV with an HDMI cable?

7. Collapse Details

My PC is in the basement; the good TV is upstairs, 50 feet away. Yes, I still used a standard old, non-portable computer, partly because I detest the keyboards on laptops, do not like the extra cost for features that are cheap on a desktop, and I get 78-80 Mbps download speed, a fair bit better than wifi/laptop arrangements.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    The biggest problem I have with this new graphic is their fonts are too small. Maybe this is a subtle message that I should get a bigger TV screen, but I can hardly read the names and numbers from a normal distance.
    I think that they should keep the graphics up for longer periods of time. This is particularly distressing in the field events where it is difficult to discern what the HJ/PV height might be. If they are going to make the graphics smaller, they've got plenty of real estate on the screen to keep this info visible during the competition. They are good at showing the full list of attempts/makes on the right bottom corner but I would like to see this kept up as well. This is particularly annoying when you are watching the general "track and field" feed which skips back and forth between track and field events.

Showing more info is even more important when you watch the field events feeds. I watched the Doha Women's SP and there was absolutely no narration. They would throw and the distance would flash up for about 1/2 second and be gone.

My other graphics gripe is the results after each event. They have not only made the graphics smaller but they also don't go very deep in placings. I was hoping to see Katie Mackey's 1500M result and her 4:07 didn't quite make the cut. So you really need to have the IAAF web site up while watching things to get the full story.

Still, after two DL meets, I'm very pleased with the coverage. Saturday morning, they had the Shanghai full replay up pretty quickly after the meet had ended.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    e-mail I got:

<< Could NBC Sports be doing a better job at killing interest in track and field? After watching 2 Diamond League meets, field event distances and heights were only described in meters, never feet or inches. How many Americans can quickly convert meters to feet and inches without a conversion app. or chart.

While watching the few field events that they even showed, I had to spend half the time looking at my smartphone to use a conversion app to see how far or high they actually went.

The idiot NBC Sports directors as well as the announcers ought to know better. Shame on them all.>>

10. Collapse Details

Just have your copy of The Big Gold Book handy!!
    LOL