Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    Come back to report in 20 years. A state of mind, my ass.
    All I know is I'm faster standing at the precipice of 50 than I was in my 20's. Go figure.

I assume there will come a point when I start getting slower. Your prediction of 70 sounds about right
    There are no strings on me

2. Collapse Details
    Smile
    what Pego said..

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    what Pego said..
    Third.
    I had NO inkling at 55 that age would overtake me so fast. I could beat most of the boys on my team then - hurdling, jumping, vaulting. Now a mere 10 years later, I am in full health, fully fit, raring to go, but the wheels, they just aren't a-spinning as they used to.

Get back to me at 65 and tell me what the clock says. That said, I do know that bikers and swimmers hold up better and longer because the lack of weight-bearing sses that their bodies are subjected to, so good luck to you!!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    That said, I do know that bikers and swimmers hold up better and longer because the lack of weight-bearing sses that their bodies are subjected to, so good luck to you!!!
    That's why I do all 3.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    Come back to report in 20 years. A state of mind, my ass.
    If I think I am too old to do it, I won't. Then I WILL sit on my ass for the next 20 years and age a whole lot faster than I would by being very active.

6. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    That said, I do know that bikers and swimmers hold up better and longer because the lack of weight-bearing sses that their bodies are subjected to, so good luck to you!!!

I agree with this.

Ultimately, my biggest battle on the bike will be my weight, which becomes harder and harder to maintain as I get older. Maybe if I wasnt so loath to watch what I eat lol
    There are no strings on me

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post

Ultimately, my biggest battle on the bike will be my weight, which becomes harder and harder to maintain as I get older. Maybe if I wasnt so loath to watch what I eat lol
    Well there's an upside to that, after the top of the hill is reached.

8. Collapse Details

Guru, you are about to go over, and if you try an extended climb (e.g., one taking an hour, such as climbing the Mount Baldy Road used in the Tour of California; there used to be a time trial from 24th and Euclid to the end of the road, about 12.6 miles, 1900' to 6400') you will find that you are already over part of the edge.

9. Collapse Details

I'm 65 now, and still ride a lot - not as good as guru but I can maintain 18-19 mph for 30-40 miles and still climb pretty well. (Or I used to before we moved to Hilton Head - I miss the hills). However, within the last 5 years running has gotten really hard. Can't do it every day as my right knee and right Achilles balk at that. Like trackCanuck I still lift weights too. But I'll fourth what Pego, lonewolf, Atticus said - seems like in last 5 years things have gotten much more difficult.

10. Collapse Details

Bambam when I said I do all 3, I meant run, bike, and swim. The only weights I'm lifting are my legs when I run