Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

The mind wanders as the demented reminisce as to what was. I love competing in masters, M65 for me. But I am only competing against myself as I don't really care about who else is in my group as we all have varying levels of incapacity. And for many of us we take a range of medication at times to control those ailments - for me it is my asthma medications. And I do not see the point in having to be subject to drug testing. As far as I am concerned if some idiot M65 fellow competitor wants to juice himself up, as a number have done, then go ahead - I don't really care.

I can't long jump or triple jump any more. It hurts too bloody much and the knees / ankles sure as hell don't like it. So I am primarily a thrower although doing HJ from a very short approach is OK. Would PED's help? Probably I guess, but as others have opined "what's the point".

Have NZ nationals this weekend. If I can beat my bests from when I was in M60-M64 age group I will be ecstatic. I would rather beat my own best than win a masters gold. Of course achieving both is the preferred outcome, of course.

2. Collapse Details
    old farts musing on getting old
    Administrator
    certainly didn't belong in the Harper Nelson thread

3. Collapse Details

After a cortisone shot from a doctor my gym reps went up 30-40%. I noticed the difference.

4. Collapse Details

We can blame Pego for this thread.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Oh, the ignominy. In just a few short years, you'll be whistling another tune. I was all that in my 50s. Mid-60s are a bit harsher . . .
    I'm still hard at it, but the pay-off is diminishing rapidly. I'll train till I die, but the reality of aging is a cruel task-master.
    There was a troll who was (thankfully) banished last year, and he constantly said "bookmark this page, that page, another page, yada yada."

Anyhow, without saying "Book mark my words or this page", I shall commit your words to some preservable form, to relish at some future date. Thanks!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    There was a troll who was (thankfully) banished last year, and he constantly said "bookmark this page, that page, another page, yada yada."

Anyhow, without saying "Book mark my words or this page", I shall commit your words to some preservable form, to relish at some future date. Thanks!
    Please do. I was that rip-snorting bring-it-on guy 10 years ago. I can still do everything I used to, but now it's a level of a middle-school girl. On the other hand, compared to 95% of the other men my age, I'm an absolute stud-muffin. That, and $5, MIGHT buy me a cuppa java at Starbucks.

7. Collapse Details

Not everyone ages equally, and you may not have only returned to working out at 55, after years of inactivity. You may have been in shape for years prior to hitting 60 so you'd already started the burnout long before. I have friends who are 64 and running better than ever.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    If a 50-year-old man wants to do that to himself to break through a plateau that no one else could possibly care about, let him.
    What if there were another 50 yr old who is not only interested in competing with himself, but also in winning competitions? Should he be denied his victory because there is another man who is willing to put his health in danger?

The question is whether masters athletes are competing against the clock (or tape measure) or against each other. I am more interested in the clock than the place, but that's because I am not good enough to win anything of significance. But I would still feel cheated if someone on PED took an AG award from me at a local road race. (No. We don't have any drug test at those races, so who knows what others are doing...)

9. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    I'm a big believer that age(and physical decline) is a state of mind. I turn 50 this year, have been cycling since I was 19, and am still riding lifetime PR's in the time trial(most recently at 40K last year). And I fully expect that to continue for the foreseeable future.
    There are no strings on me

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru
    I'm a big believer that age(and physical decline) is a state of mind.
    Come back to report in 20 years. A state of mind, my ass.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley